Rain storm - bad dirty chain

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
Got caught in two thunderstorms, and then looked at my chain after the ride.:banghead:

Tried to clean it with kerosene and a brush, not much success. Then tried soaking it and using a paint brush. Not much success.

Ended up taking out the back wheel, letting the chain loop down submerged in a drain pan full of kerosene, using a paint brush and that did the job.

Afterwards, I could start a sand paper factory with all the grit that came out of the pan of kerosene.

So, I'm wondering, is there a short cut, or is this the only way, it's a bit of work taking a back wheel out of a Gen II.

You have the watch the kerosene, It will dry out the seals. I use the Dupont teflon dry wax lube from Lowes. I have been caught in the rain also and never had any trouble getting the chain clean. Good luck

I spray mine with degreaser, let sit a few minutes and then rinse off. After that a light spray with wd40 and the next day I seal it with a good coat of dry chain wax.

You have the watch the kerosene, It will dry out the seals. I use the Dupont teflon dry wax lube from Lowes. I have been caught in the rain also and never had any trouble getting the chain clean. Good luck

I've always used chain wax, but I want to start using the Dupont teflon stuff, what should I do before I switch ? I shouldn't just spray it over top of the chain wax should I ??

This pic was taken when I did the 1,000 mile ride. Rode in the rain for more than 5 hours.
4658889063_a604d9a6a4_b.jpg

Here's what I've been using.
4631953918_43bbe4c0fc_o.jpg

Your chain will stay like this.....
4811712825_209ef6208b_b.jpg

I don't use any cleaners before spraying it with Dupont. I also did Djxtrodinaire's chain one time without cleaning it first and Dupont cleaned it and lubed it at the same time. The best part about using Dupont, no fling.

By the way, this chain has more than 7,000 miles on it.

Last edited:
I don't use any cleaners before spraying it with Dupont. I also did Djxtrodinaire's chain one time without cleaning it first and Dupont cleaned it and lubed it at the same time. The best part about using Dupont, no fling.

That is what I love about it the most. I still have some of the factory stuff on there and every time I spray it down, I can see all that junk coming off.

Hey red, where do you pick that stuff up from? Home Depot, Lowes, local bike shop?

I get mine from Lowes but, I imagine Home Depot carries it as well.

This pic was taken when I did the 1,000 mile ride. Rode in the rain for more than 5 hours.

Here's what I've been using.
4631953918_43bbe4c0fc_o.jpg

Your chain will stay like this.....

By the way, this chain has more than 7,000 miles on it.

Thx, I will try that, using Belray at the moment.
Would be interested to know, next time right after you have cleaned your chain, turn a few of the rollers by hand, (they are bushings not protected by the o-ring) and see if they are totally smooth, or can you feel a little grit inside there?

I am probably anal, but only have around 3,000 miles on the bike and so far there is no stretch on the chain, never had to adjust it.

Thx, I will try that, using Belray at the moment.
Would be interested to know, next time right after you have cleaned your chain, turn a few of the rollers by hand, (they are bushings not protected by the o-ring) and see if they are totally smooth, or can you feel a little grit inside there?

I am probably anal, but only have around 3,000 miles on the bike and so far there is no stretch on the chain, never had to adjust it.

I have cans of other stuff and wouldn't use them ever again.

I will try turning the rollers next time I clean it.

By the way, did you guys noticed how the chain stays clean in that picture I posted during my 1,000 mile ride? That picture was taken hundreds of miles away from home. As you can see, not much dirt or anything sticks to the chain when using the Dupont.

Yeah that stuff looks like it works awesome. I'm just curious what everyone's process is of using the Dupont. Do you clean the chain first then apply or is it more like a spray it and leave it deal?

By the way, did you guys noticed how the chain stays clean in that picture I posted during my 1,000 mile ride? That picture was taken hundreds of miles away from home. As you can see, not much dirt or anything sticks to the chain when using the Dupont.

That is the ticket you want.:thumbsup:

Mine was 15 miles in the rain and it looked like crap, abrasive build up.

That is the ticket you want.:thumbsup:

Mine was 15 miles in the rain and it looked like crap, abrasive build up.

I'm just really happy that mike1180 I think his screen name is, recommended the Dupont right after I got my wheels. Makes it a lot easier to keep the rear wheel clean. Thanks again, Mike.:beerchug:

Yeah that stuff looks like it works awesome. I'm just curious what everyone's process is of using the Dupont. Do you clean the chain first then apply or is it more like a spray it and leave it deal?

When I did djx's chain, I didn't clean it first and believe me, it was dirty to begin with. I did the same thing when I first started using it. I didn't clean it first. I just sprayed it like 3-4 links at a time, and wipe it immediately with a shop towel. No need to soak it first. Just spray and wipe. The reason I didn't spray it with something like WD-40 first is because I didn't want anything on the chain prior to using it. That's just me. You'll be amazed to watch how dirt and grime come off the chain as you spray it.

Back