OK, I have kerosene and a sprayer

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
OK, everyone says use kerosene as THE solvent to clean chains. So, I bought some, and a small sprayer to apply it. Now what happens to the tire, if I get some on it, and immediately wipe it off?

Damage to the tire or not? My intention is to thoroughly hose the chain off with kerosene and use a stiff brush at the same time. Then after the kerosene evaporates, I intend to put Honda chain lube on. Good plan or not?

DSC01389.JPG

I don't believe getting some on your tire and then wiping it off will cause problems.  They can't expect you to not get anything on your tire when cleaning the chain.  

I pretty much do it like the guy in this video.  

I don't even clean my chain in a separate step.  I just use Chain Wax from Maxima and lube it every couple of weeks.  The act of putting on the chain wax cleans it at the same time.  My chain is always pretty "new looking."

I tried using a brush the first time I cleaned it.  Dipped it in kerosene, brushed away and ended up with a HUGE mess.  I don't do that anymore.
crazy.gif

After you clean it you might want to wipe it down real good to get the excess kerosene off and then take it for a quick spin to warm the chain up. When you get back wipe itdown real quick again and apply your lube. Warming your chain up before you clean and before you wax / lube it makes it easier to clean and aloows the lub to penetrate better.

Just an added note: I use a rag soaked in kerosene to clean my rims and undertail as well. It really makes a difference when removing bugs, tar and brake dust. I haven't seen it cause any issues with the paint job or tires when I get it on it either. I wipe it off right away though.

(Spike @ Apr. 28 2007,16:57) The act of putting on the chain wax cleans it at the same time. My chain is always pretty "new looking."
Not exactly the case. Chain wax doesn't clean the chain at all. If anything, it gives the crud you're riding through something else to stick to. Over time, it gets even dirtier.

--Wag--

Hey I never said I did it "right."  
wow.gif
  It always seems cleaner when I am done and I haven't seen any gunk on the chain afterwards. Just saying what my experience is:)

Kerosene is not necessary, diesel fuel get it cleaner and cost less, if you don`t mind the smell.

I use power washer with great result, steam machine even better.

(Spike @ Apr. 28 2007,17:59) Hey I never said I did it "right."
wow.gif
It always seems cleaner when I am done and I haven't seen any gunk on the chain afterwards. Just saying what my experience is:)
It just seems a lot cleaner when I scrub it down and lube it with silicone spray. I stopped using the wax a while back and now it seems to collect a lot less crud, not to mention, it's a lot easier to clean.

--Wag--

I would just get a small tooth brush or the like and put some of the karo in a bowl and brush it at the lower section as it passes around the sprocket

As soon as I find some karosene that is how I will do mine. Should be a little less messy?

(FAVahalik @ Apr. 28 2007,20:46) OK, everyone says use kerosene as THE solvent to clean chains.  So, I bought some, and a small sprayer to apply it.  Now what happens to the tire, if I get some on it, and immediately wipe it off?

Damage to the tire or not?  My intention is to thoroughly hose the chain off with kerosene and use a stiff brush at the same time.  Then after the kerosene evaporates, I intend to put Honda chain lube on.  Good plan or not?
No matter what anyone tells you, Kerosene will not harm your wheels. Actually it's pretty good at getting road tar and grime off. Kerosene cleans quite well and there is no need for a sprayer. I simply take a small plastic cup and fill it, and use an old toothbrush to clean the chain. After that, I take an old rag and wipe the chain down.... then add a chain lubricant. Just remember that Kerosene is a light product made from crude oil and it does have lubricating properties. I'm speaking from experience and have been working in the Petroleum industry for almost 17 years now.

I use a small paint brush and small coffee can with an inch or two of kerosene in it. I dip the brush and brush the chain. I can get my chain looking new. Then I spray the chain with what lube I have on hand.

It just seems a lot cleaner when I scrub it down and lube it with silicone spray. I stopped using the wax a while back and now it seems to collect a lot less crud, not to mention, it's a lot easier to clean.

--Wag-- [/Quote]

I went to chain wax becasue the silicone I was using was not clingy enough, I was always getting spray on the rims and undertail. I was probably using too much though. It just didn't seem to cling at all. I may have to try the silicone spray agin. Maybe I didn't give it a chance.

(Vic_E55_2001 @ Apr. 28 2007,18:20) Wag, what silicone spray do you use?
Just about any silicone spray you can get at an auto parts store will do just fine.

I should let you know that I'm still testing the silicone so I don't know for certain if it's going to mess up the life of the chain or not.

--Wag--

after posting a similar thread and getting great feedback from the org members this is how i do it...

1. place a rag under area working.

2. spray kerosene onto chain and use a nylon bristle brush to scrub the chain clean. try to get
all sides of the chain scrubbed, wipe dry with a clean rag. repeat until clean, shiney and dry.

3. make sure the tires are clean [not greasy] and take a short smooth ride for a couple of
blocks, just enough to warm the chain up.

4. apply the recommended chain lube or wax of your choice. ride around the block again
then relube.

I stopped using chain wax simply because it was just too sticky and it caused my chain to collect junk very quickly... i  switched to silkolene chain lube... still works great and doesnt sling much at all if used right... i still wipe the chain down with wd-40 on a rag and clean it with an old tooth brush but after its clean i put the chain lube on...

36903542.jpg

(Vic_E55_2001 @ Apr. 28 2007,17:11) Kerosene is not necessary, diesel fuel get it cleaner and cost less, if you don`t mind the smell.

I use power washer with great result, steam machine even better.
Diesel fuel and jet fuel and kerosene are all basically the same thing. The more processed grades have less smell and produce less smoke due to the sulfur content. It's all good for chains.

I'm a WD40 man myself. Spray some on a rag and clean away. It works fabulous.

(GMbusa @ May 03 2007,16:51) I'm a WD40 man myself. Spray some on a rag and clean away. It works fabulous.
I thought WD-40 would be great. However, I've seen a lot of posts that claim that WD-40 washes the lubricant out of the O ring seals.

It's a bit hard for me to accept that WD-40 is a bad cleaner and kerosene is a good cleaner. But, the kerosene works very well even if it does smell like crap.

I just finished cleaning mine a few minutes ago after a few hundred Bash miles. I put a large pan under the chain, a small amount of Kero, small paint brush, and clean it. Afterwards I dry it really good with a clean rag, then lube it. As for the tire, just wipe it off, won't hurt a thing. I spent about 45 minutes (cause I take my time) and wore surgical gloves and chain AND hands are clean!
beerchug.gif

(FAVahalik @ May 03 2007,17:28)
(GMbusa @ May 03 2007,16:51) I'm a WD40 man myself. Spray some on a rag and clean away. It works fabulous.
I thought WD-40 would be great.  However, I've seen a lot of posts that claim that WD-40 washes the lubricant out of the O ring seals.  

It's a bit hard for me to accept that WD-40 is a bad cleaner and kerosene is a good cleaner.  But, the kerosene works very well even if it does smell like crap.
I've read the same thing. That WD-40 damages the O-rings. I had a motorcycle tech tell me that all he does is wipe the chain with a rag and a strong grip and then put on new chain lube. I do the same, but I wet the rag with kerosine, then wipe it off, warm up the chain, and apply a good chain lube. Not a chain wax, a good quality chain lube, then wipe off the excess chain lube with a light grip for a revolution or two. I don't know, but it's worked good for me.
smile.gif

Back