OK, I have kerosene and a sprayer

On my Bike I use Maxima Chain Wax and I like it. It is true that it collects more grime more often because it is a wax and everything sticks to it. But you just have to spend a little extra time when cleaning the chain to get it looking good. When cleaning the chain I use the chain wax and it works fairly well, the chain looks gold again anyways.
tounge.gif
A few days ago I picked up some Motul Chain Clean and tested that. This product is a chain cleaner only and the results are mixed. It did clean the chain well but not sure it was worth the $10.00 for the can when the chain wax does pretty much the same job. Here is a link showing you what happens when you use WD-40 on things you shouldn't, for example bike chains. Scroll close to the bottom of the page.
Click ME!!

I always place a sheet of cardboard or posterboard between my chain and wheel. Once the bike is on the rear stand I'm ready to go.

As for chain lubes and cleaning procedures, that is a debate that could go on for years without an agreement. It's the same as asking what oil to use.

For a good cleaning I just put the busa on the stand and remove the rear wheel. I then put a pan on the floor with about an inch of kerosene in it and rotate the chain into the pan while brushing the chain off with a parts cleaning brush. Dry off with a rag and spray it down with chain lub before putting the rear wheel back on. That method keeps the chain lube from spraying all over the rear wheel .

(Wag @ Apr. 28 2007,23:26)
(Vic_E55_2001 @ Apr. 28 2007,18:20) Wag, what silicone spray do you use?
Just about any silicone spray you can get at an auto parts store will do just fine.  

I should let you know that I'm still testing the silicone so I don't know for certain if it's going to mess up the life of the chain or not.

--Wag--
Wag, did you ever try the Sidewinder Sprockets SS51 I sent you? I have been using it and the chain is a lot cleaner and I don't have any gummy stuff on my nice BST's.

you guys are doing it all wrong. put your busa on the rear pit bull, totally saturate the chain with wd-40, now start the bike on the stand, put it in gear, twist the throttle wide open shifting through all the gears and making sure you let it ride the rev limiter for at least 20 seconds between each gear. and if you really want it to sparkle, spray a 60 shot of NOS while your in 6th gear. by now your chain should be glowing a bright lava orange and now is a good time to apply the wax.
all_coholic.gif

I use Simple green and a pressure washer. Clean everything from the seat down and back with it. Blow the big puddles off with an air gun then Ride it dry, Lube with chain oil and detail brush.

Back