Radar detector

EdC

Registered
Guys, I don't know if it was on this forum or another one I frequent, but there was a thread about installing radar detectors to some unused wiring in the fairing that, as I recall, was intended for European lighting. Connecting a radar detector to it would enable it with the ignition, just like the lights. Does anyone recall the specifics?

I have an inexpensive Cobra detector mounted on top of my instrument cluster with Velcro and wired directly to the battery. It finally stopped working (getting it wet each time the bike is washed will tend to cause that) and when I install the new one, I wanted to wire it so it was hot with the ignition.

Thanks!

Ed

I did a search on the other site and found the answer, so I thought I'd pass it along for those who might be curious.

"On the nosepiece near the right ram air tube, there is a unused connector containing two wires - black with white stripe and brown with white stripe. The brown with white stripe is a switched 12V DC power source. The black with white stripe is a ground. This connector is used for running lights for European models, and is unused on the US Hayabusa. This is the best place to tap into for power and ground."

Ed

biggrin.gif

I don't think the above photo shows the harness in question. If you remove the right upper filler panel between the instrument cluster and the fairing, you can see the unused connector about three inches back into the fairing. You would have to remove the panel under the fairing (above the fender) and reach up to gain access to it. The plug accepts very small spade connectors or you could cut the existing connector off and install another one. The harness is only about three or four inches long, so lengthening it would be required and it isn't the easiest thing to get to with the lights in place. I wound up not using it and left my detector wired back through the frame to the battery.

Ed

Back