Quickshifter install

ZeePopo

Registered
So I'm trying to get this quickshifter installed but running into a bit of a problem. It comes with the threaded rod to cut to length and replacement swivel heads. Problem is the swivel heads seems to be a different design than the ones that come stock. Here's a photo. I can't use the threaded rod that came with the Quickshifter since it's a fine thread and the Busa seems to use a coarse thread. I'm looking for a adapter for now hopefully will find a fine to coarse adapter or a threaded rod that is coarse and fine on the same road. Any ideas? Can I press out the ball head on the replacement swivel head?

IMG_20211210_191333.jpg

What brand of quick shifter is this from?

I have a Translogic on mine but the linkage doesn't look like that one.

I've never seen one come with threaded rod, only one or two different length rods with threaded ends.
I'de call them on that BS.
It came with two threaded rods. One longer than the other. It's the fine thread that causes the issues since if it was coarse I could use the stock swivel heads. There wasn't a Busa specific quickshifter but they thought the Gixxer 600 shifter would work. Guess the 600 has the better fine thread and we got stuck with coarse threads. The photo is missing the load cell and the shorter threaded rod.

Do other quickshifters come with replacement heads or do they reused the stock ones? If it's replacement heads do they just pop into the existing ball?

Last edited:
I have only seen the QS come with 2 rods, not another fitted end.
I can see threaded rod bend after some use as well.
Making a piece of hex stock with 2 different tapped sizes on each end also will need to be very long, or you will have limited adjustment.
Given the cost and hassle, I would return it and get something else.
If it's not adjusted just right either, it's useless.

@ZeePopo

sorry
I am 99% sure that you will have a gearbox damage on the busa in approx. 25,000 km and that your piggy bank will then have to be looted.
in my view (and younger experiences) two reasons:
1. incorrect use
2. incorrect adjustment of the qs

youngest victim of a qs - at a buddy´s shop - some 2 or 3 months ago - a bmw s 1000 rr for pure race track use - gearbox is scrap - 8 of 12 sprockets have massive damage at the dogs, 2 of 3 shifting forks scrap and additionally a cam on the (shift) starswitch even broke off - only first 2 of 6 gears available.

so personally I strongly advise against the qs .

I have only seen the QS come with 2 rods, not another fitted end.
I can see threaded rod bend after some use as well.
Making a piece of hex stock with 2 different tapped sizes on each end also will need to be very long, or you will have limited adjustment.
Given the cost and hassle, I would return it and get something else.
If it's not adjusted just right either, it's useless.
Go with a Translogic Intellishift...they work great....

You are too high tech for me...we used the old school air shifters with a paintball gun sized Co2 tank and simple igntion kill.
But, I do love the up/down on the throttle QS the newer gsxr1k's and gen3 Busa.
The one I have is up only but works flawless.

When I first got the bike I rode it with it disconnected to get the feel for the bike itself without any "helping hands" once I connected it and started using it, it became addictive.

So I finally got it to work. I learned too much about bolts and rods hahaha. It wasn't a coarse thread over fine thread, it was that the original shift rod is left-handed threaded on one side and right handed threaded on the other. I tried finding left handed taps, double thread rod, coupling joints. Left hand threads are rare in the west. At the end I figured a solution. Dynojet quickshifter has various rods available for custom instalations. Shift Rod G works perfect for the Hayabusa. 20 bucks later I have my rod and fits well. I cut the threaded rod that came with the Quickshifter kit down to 29mm and everything aligned to the same length as stock. Too bad it's snowing and I can't ride, have to wait for a sunny break and see how it all works. I'm really interested in this quickshifter since it connects to all ignition coils instead of to just one as many other quickshifters do. Can't wait to ride and test it out.

mmexport1640048566750.jpg

mmexport1640048574255.jpg

So I finally got it to work. I learned too much about bolts and rods hahaha. It wasn't a coarse thread over fine thread, it was that the original shift rod is left-handed threaded on one side and right handed threaded on the other. I tried finding left handed taps, double thread rod, coupling joints. Left hand threads are rare in the west. At the end I figured a solution. Dynojet quickshifter has various rods available for custom instalations. Shift Rod G works perfect for the Hayabusa. 20 bucks later I have my rod and fits well. I cut the threaded rod that came with the Quickshifter kit down to 29mm and everything aligned to the same length as stock. Too bad it's snowing and I can't ride, have to wait for a sunny break and see how it all works. I'm really interested in this quickshifter since it connects to all ignition coils instead of to just one as many other quickshifters do. Can't wait to ride and test it out.

View attachment 1645171

View attachment 1645172
You are going to get addicted to it....

Make sure you set the proper kill times otherwise you could be up for a Gearbox rebuild.

My 08 is now due for a rebuild as previous owners decided to use quick shitters and not set them up properly.
Will do! Anyone has any advice on how to fine tune the kill time?

Back