Quick quiestion on gearing for nitrous.

Moparict

Donating Member
Registered
I have a stock 07 Busa for the most part. Short stacks with airbox mod. Stock exhaust and a 4" over cheater arm. Shinko 003 Ultra on the rear. Currently, I'm 16/40 and have ran 10.18 @ 139 on the motor with a 1.65 60ft. I want to put on an additional 40hp with nitrous and have been wondering if I need to re-gear the bike. Thanks in advance.
beerchug.gif

I think most run a 16/42...some experts will be along with professional advice.

:<span style='font-family:arial'><span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>CRICKETS:</span></span></span>

Are you running an air shifter? Low gearing + nitrous = some seriously fast shifting. I'm 17/44 with a 50 shot and a Cycle-Tek airshifter - when I'm not spraying I wish I was geared even lower, when I am spraying I wish I was geared higher as I'm tapped in 6th in what seems like an instant.

Sorry if that's not much help - I say just throw the nitrous on it as-is and see how it feels.

(johnnycrash @ Sep. 01 2007,02:24) Are you running an air shifter? Low gearing + nitrous = some seriously fast shifting. I'm 17/44 with a 50 shot and a Cycle-Tek airshifter - when I'm not spraying I wish I was geared even lower, when I am spraying I wish I was geared higher as I'm tapped in 6th in what seems like an instant.

Sorry if that's not much help - I say just throw the nitrous on it as-is and see how it feels.
SHOCKED.gif
In theory at 10,200 RPM in 6th you'd be running 172 MPH
SHOCKED.gif

SHOCKED.gif

(dadofthree @ Sep. 01 2007,01:20)
(johnnycrash @ Sep. 01 2007,02:24) Are you running an air shifter?  Low gearing + nitrous = some seriously fast shifting.  I'm 17/44 with a 50 shot and a Cycle-Tek airshifter - when I'm not spraying I wish I was geared even lower, when I am spraying I wish I was geared higher as I'm tapped in 6th in what seems like an instant.

SHOCKED.gif
In theory at 10,200 RPM in 6th you'd be running 172 MPH  
SHOCKED.gif
Rider weight and cutting through the air changes that formula a tad, with a 40 shot you might just have to drop one tooth on the rear to keep off the limiter...having three sprockets on a "test and tune" night does the trick.

SHOCKED.gif

I am 210 without my gear. I do have an airshifter with an auto box. I will probably get a few sprockets, I just wanted to get in the ball park first instead of walking around in the parking lot. Thanks for the help ya'll.

The quicker that you can come on the button, the better for ET.
If it wheelies too bad in first, you could knock a couple of teeth OFF of the rear to calm it down.
It'll feel slower on the motor, but if you can grab the button sooner, you'll prolly go quicker.

What gear are you going to hit the NOS in? I would start off with the gear you have...16/40. With a 40 shot, it's going to come up in 3rd with the gearing you have now.

Back