Quick How-To T.R.E. Install w/PICS

aka Danksy

Registered
:tre:

I see a lot of posts about these and they are awesome for our bikes,
I noticed a huge difference in city riding with this installed,

before the install I was having issues with the engine "cutting out" at low RPMs and low gears.

VERY FRUSTRATING

but now its running minty

All a a TRE or Timing Retard Eliminator does is make the bike think it is in 5th gear all the time eliminating the timing retard Suzuki puts in from the factory for the low gears.

either way just a quick Picture reference on how to do this quick install

got mine from Ivan's Performance Products
In Rockland County

STEP ONE: Remove Seat bolts located under the drivers seat (#5 Allen) on each side of the frame and remove the seat

Step Two: There are two bolts at the front of the gastank holding in it place(#4 allen) Remove those and this will allow you to lift up the gas tank. I have hooks in the ceiling and use a Tie-down to keep the tank up.

shown here

IMG_1211.jpg

Last edited:
Step 3: Under the tank on the left side of the frame you will see a bunch of wires and connectors. In the mess you will find one that is white and Triangle-3pronged shaped, pictured here

IMG_1214.jpg

STEP 4: simply disconnect this cable and inbetween the two connectors use the male and female sides of the TRE to complete the circuit.

Picture of the TRE connectors HERE

IMG_1218.jpg

IMG_1221.jpg

mine works great. I had it switched off by accident the one day and thought i had a vac leak or something.

downside is that you run 5th gear fueling tables in all gears, which for max performance is the wrong direction to go.

I'm no expert by any means; but a T.R.E. should have nothing to do with your engine shutting down at low RPMs or low gears! Someone please correct me if I am wrong!

I'm no expert by any means; but a T.R.E. should have nothing to do with your engine shutting down at low RPMs or low gears! Someone please correct me if I am wrong!

correct :) If bike is shutting off etc has nothing to do with a TRE or lack of. I would check ground / battery connections etc, kickstand, tipover switch, that type of stuff.

Good step by step, thank you! There have been a few post lately requesting pictures and a how to. Good job! :beerchug:

cool stuff, even though opinions vary on TRE's this is still a great post, I like the how to stuff, even if I don't use something still nice to know, thanks:thumbsup:

How to's are awesome... thanks for sharing. I went for Greg's delimiter instead. havent installed yet, but will let you guys know soon... and hopefully with how to!

I have Smithabusa's deresistrictor switched. TRE's are old techno. Flash the ECU.

bike wasn't shutting down, just felt choppy in low gears and low rpms like the fuel/air ratio was way off.

and this fixed it.

so either a TRE works? or Magically by flipping up the gastank and removing the front seat the bike fixed itself:confused2:

I thought the same thing but too be honest I'm not Ben Spies. I love pushing corners, lifting up the front end and occasionally sliding the back (which I didn't know you could do on this bike, freakin' sweeeet). But I am not worried about extra HP for the dragstrip. Up here in NH its nothing but twisties and back mountain.

Even the famed kangamangus highway wiLl top you out at a 150mph
Posted via Mobile Device

Back