Quick hello and question on front axle casting swaps

Russ_T

Registered
Just wanted to say Hi, finally got a '07 Busa after lusting after one for 20 years lol.

Hayabusa.jpg

Hayabusa3.jpg

Doing some fantasy shopping for parts, thinking of doing a front brake upgrade. You can do adapter plates to fit better callipers, or swap the a Gen 2 front end for radials without callipers brackets etc, both good options.

What I'm considering is how feasible is it to unscrew and swap the front axle castings between an gen 1 and gen 2, thus getting the radial brake mounts? Presumably the wheel would need swapping, discs etc. and other parts.

I need a set of gen 2 forks to measure and compare.

Cheers

Russ

Hmmm can't see it's going to work. I've just noticed that Gen 2 has a suspension adjustment dial on the lower suspension. So options are Gen 2 front end, or buy some Ohlins.

Welcome! That and the '02 was the color to have for me. Looks unmolested. Tell us more about it.

Wow!! The paint is stunning!
Beautiful condition, lots of love needs to be showered on this beauty lol.
Welcome along and tell us more, oh and get some Ohlins front and rear if you can, you will not regret it!

Doing some fantasy shopping for parts, thinking of doing a front brake upgrade. You can do adapter plates to fit better callipers, or swap the a Gen 2 front end for radials without callipers brackets etc, both good options.

What I'm considering is how feasible is it to unscrew and swap the front axle castings between an gen 1 and gen 2, thus getting the radial brake mounts? Presumably the wheel would need swapping, discs etc. and other parts.

I need a set of gen 2 forks to measure and compare.

Cheers

Russ

hi to the brexit ;) / grin
and welcome to the .org :thumbsup:

request

yep the entire! front end (fork +) of the "2" fits into the "1"
but whatfor the thinking of changing to gen2 front?

spongy insufficiant "1" brakes with "dull" feeling?

then here my solution - the deep cleaning - (repeated then every 30-35 000 km)

then eventually new pads - my recommendation , the organic ebc fa 188 and stay away from all sinter pads - they literally eat the discs !

and move from the original hosing way to two long hoses/lines from master to calipers.

and last but not least - have a "l´ill look" ;) here at my extended maintenance schedule summarized for gen 1 & 2
(follow this schedule point by point , even your bike look, from the outside, for sure like new)

and if you still stay with your plan to get the entire! "2" front end, keep away from the tokicos from ´08-´12
but get the brembo calipers - those are the much better / best choice.

Last edited:
Thank you all.

Well it's a 2007 UK model, what we call the "stealth" version as it was black on black. 14k miles on the clock, only mods I have spotted so far are heated grips. Came out of a BMW dealership as a trade in and as far as I can tell it all seems great so far! There are a few marks, and bits I'd like to detail, but otherwise just waiting on lockdown to end and the sun to come out.

This one I think I'll leave the stock cans on which I think I'll leave. There is something to be said for quiet bikes, you can go faster and people don't hear you doing it ;)

Thank you Berlin Germany! My gf is a German translator, so I'm surrounded by German books that I can barely read haha. Thank you for the guides, much appreciated. I have printed the maintenance sheet and will go through it. And my dad had an FJ1200 when I was growing up, I remember thinking how cool and shiny it looked :D

Yes, my first step is to improve what I have, and then wait until a weak moment to spend the same value as the bike on suspension and radial callipers. Hopefully I can delay that a few years yet. I have too many bikes, and many projects, and a few more bikes to buy yet and £1k-£4k of suspension and brakes will hold all those plans up :D

Cheers

Back