Quick cbr1000rr comparo...

wickedsprint

Registered
I finally took delivery of the Black 06' in the picture, sorry for the crappy pic, took shortly after getting it home from the dealer so make sure to make fun of the chicken strips. Some real quick comparisons, likes and dislikes.

Engine, as expected the Busa has alot more lowend TQ, this can't be argued. The Busa is ALOT more tolerant of being a gear or two high and still providing serious acceleration. The CBR needs to be spun up a bit to make its power. However the CBR has shorter gearing whcih when actually in the proper gear makes up a bit for lack of lowend nuts. I am taking it fairly easy with the engine, no redline or full throttle etc for a moderate breakin. That being said the CBR while not even the fastest liter bike pulls like absolute crazy above 6k rpm.

Ergonomics, this is going to be largey dependant on rider size, for me (5,10 160lbs ish) it is light years more comfortable. The bars are closer and the seat IS softer, at least for 2006, supposedly the 04/05 seats were bricks. The pegs are a bit higher though so I forsee leg cramping issues on longer rides but the rest of the layout makes it far more comfortable. The Honda looks like it would be torture for a passenger while the Busa actually has a decent passenger seat.

Handling, initially it did not feel as sure footed, and on a windy day like today (gusting 45 out) it definitely is NOT as planted. After a bit of riding yesterday I feel more confident on this bike through most stuff, some of this will be subjective. Brakes are absolutely crazy strong, it seriously hauls down, likely alot to do with the 100lbs or so less weight.

Fit and finish, comparable, The Hayabusa is Suzukis flagship and is one of the nicest bikes I have ever seen put together. I would rate them equally, they both use good quality fasteners and the welds all look pretty.

Periodic Maintenence, Busa looks alot easier to get to the valves for an adjustment, oil changes are the same and require both bikes to yank the lower fairing to access the oil filter.

Looks, I think the Hayabusa is a gorgeous motorcycle when viewed from just about any angle. I like the headlights on the Honda and the way it looks from the side, but overall I think the Busa is a better looking bike, I love function over form and the Busa manages to blend them together since everything about its design is for aerodynamic efficiency. The Honda looks like every other crotch rocket out there.

Things I dislike about the Honda. Everything seems to be intergrated, for example just yanking all the reflectors off even proved to be time consuming, all of the reflector brackets double as washers and collars, so you can either grind off the collar/washer, or go order the collars that Honda uses in the other bolt that holds the fender on. No flash to pass button (at least I havn't found it yet), this was a nice feature on the Busa. Undertail exhaust limits storage options. The Honda for 06 does not come with a very comprehensive tool kit, just enough to yank the fairings to get at the oil filter, that's it. I like having all of the stuff on hand to adjust the chain. Does not come with the rear cowl like the Busa, only the passenger seat.

Likes, I really like the engine, it has a nice little growl to it around town and in the lower revs reminds me of my old KZ550 sound wise plus I like the rush of power as the revs build. The close ratio gearbox keeps it entertaining as well. I really dig the brakes too.

The Busa is one of those bikes that feels like you are not going that fast, to get a sensation of speed riding a bike as stable and planted as a Hayabusa requires some serious velocity. When you drive out of a corner in the Honda even at a 100 it feels like you are going at the speed of light even though their acceleration should be comparable.

That's all I got. I would like to keep posting here since it was the roomate that bought it so the household will still be in the community and require assistance or to offer it.

<!--EDIT|wickedsprint
Reason for Edit: None given...|1143743143 -->

cbr.JPG

Those are nice bikes this year . It was interesting when I learned that the 06 CBR1000RR wheels are around 2 lbs lighter than Yamaha's R1 Special Editions Marchesini wheels .
" both wheels together"

Thats the only newer liter bike I have not ridden . Is first gear fairly tall like the R1 ?

It's not dragbike friendly but I always wished the Hayabusa had a taller first gear with closer ratios the rest of the way through .

Those are nice bikes this year . It was interesting when I learned that the 06 CBR1000RR wheels are around 2 lbs lighter than Yamaha's R1 Special Editions Marchesini wheels .
" both wheels together"

Thats the only newer liter bike I have not ridden . Is first gear fairly tall like the R1 ?

It's not dragbike friendly but I always wished the Hayabusa had a taller first gear with closer ratios the rest of the way through .
I have not zinged 1st to the limiter yet but I read that 1st is good for about 80-85 ish. I don't believe the Honda is geared as tall as the rest of the Liters.

Back