Questions from a newbie - Common Problems

CPU Hacker

Registered
I have just gotten an 05 Red Busa and have put 80 miles on it. I also just joined this site. So I am an admitted newbie to both. Here are some things that I noticed in my one day ride that I have questions about. Just want to know if they are normal or should I go to the dealer complaining about some of the problems.

1) Rough Idle
2) Vibration around 4000 to 5500 RPM. Plus some surging or flat spot there.
3) Headlight doesn't seem very bright, or out of adjustment.
4) Speedometer seems to read about 6-7 MPH too fast.
5) Foot pegs stick to my boot even raising the peg.
6) Windscreen is really low covering top of gauges. But I am 6' 4" so it could just be my height.

Well that is it. All comments are welcome and thanks.

Congrats & Welcome!

Most of what you've noticed are common to the Busa...

1) Rough Idle[/QUOTE]
Usually the idle is set too low from the Stealer. Adjust it up to around 1150 +/- 50 RPM

2) Vibration around 4000 to 5500 RPM. Plus some surging or flat spot there.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, seems to be common. My '04 is the same. A PCIII w/map may be able to cure? Some other members may have some ideas.

3) Headlight doesn't seem very bright, or out of adjustment.
4) Speedometer seems to read about 6-7 MPH too fast.[/QUOTE]
REAL common! Headlight is pointing WAY low, needs to be adjusted. Also for brightness, the economy way of fixing would be to install a SilverStar bulb. Little more $$$ will get ya HID...nice & bright! For the Speedo...VERY common! Cure: SpeedoHealer.

I'll be posting pics (hopefully later today) on both the above...I just installed them last night!

5) Foot pegs stick to my boot even raising the peg.[/QUOTE]
Hmmm...not sure there...unless ya have something sticky on yer boots!

6) Windscreen is really low covering top of gauges. But I am 6' 4" so it could just be my height.[/QUOTE]
Get a 'Double Bubble' windscreen. I have a Zero Gravity DB coming early next week. Will post pix when I have it.

Again, welcome to the board and congrats on the Busa!

PS - We *LOVE* pics on this board (it's kinda our version of crack!
tounge.gif
) Please post up pics!

Yeah......what he said! BTW.....No introduction or anything? Anyway, Welcome to the best website in the universe!!!!
tounge.gif

How rude - no introduction!

What is a proper intoduction?

The bike is stock. It had 1 mile on it when I got it. But I will post a pic.

<!--EDIT|CPU Hacker
Reason for Edit: None given...|1125671042 -->

1) Rough Idle [/QUOTE]
Set your idle between 1050 t0 1150. Thats should solve your problem.

2) Vibration around 4000 to 5500 RPM. Plus some surging or flat spot there. [/QUOTE]
Viberation in that range is quite common, but flatspots... never heard of that!! If you have an aftermarket exhaust, I'd suggest you get yourself a PC3 and the right MAP for it

3) Headlight doesn't seem very bright, or out of adjustment. [/QUOTE]
The busa does nto have a very birght, and useful headlight. Suggest you adjust it once... and if your not happy with it, the only way out is a good HID kit.

4) Speedometer seems to read about 6-7 MPH too fast. [/QUOTE]
The speedo is generally off by 6-8 percent. If you wanna set it right .. i would suggest you get a speedo healer. You can find one on http://www.schnitzracing.com

5) Foot pegs stick to my boot even raising the peg. [/QUOTE]
Maybe you have a chewing gum sticking to your shoes or your footpeg...
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
or it might be alien slime

6) Windscreen is really low covering top of gauges. But I am 6' 4" so it could just be my height. [/QUOTE]
You need a double bubble screen. I suggest a Zero Gravity double bubble screen... you can get one of those from http://www.bikebandit.com or http://www.schnitzracing.com or StreetNTrackImport Links Gone

I hope I have answred all your questions mate!! Now lets see some pics of your bike
biggrin.gif
We like o see pics around here!!

...and welcome to the board
biggrin.gif

tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

Congrats and welcome to the board! Looks like your questions have been answered. Post pics.

5) Foot pegs stick to my boot even raising the peg.
Maybe you have a chewing gum sticking to your shoes or your footpeg...
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
or it might be alien slime[/QUOTE]
biggrin.gif
Nothing on my boot. It just seems that the rubber is getting real soft or it is just sticking inside the tread of the boot. I can not slide or pick up my boot without the peg feeling attached. Maybe I need boots with a different tread design or get rid of the thick rubber on the pegs. Only problem is I bet the thick rubber on the pegs is to reduce the vibration to my feet.

tounge.gif

2) Vibration around 4000 to 5500 RPM. Plus some surging or flat spot there.
Viberation in that range is quite common, but flatspots... never heard of that!! If you have an aftermarket exhaust, I'd suggest you get yourself a PC3 and the right MAP for it[/QUOTE]
The bike is totaly stock. Only has 80 miles on it, 79 of which I put there. It does seem that there is a some surging around 4000 to 5500 RPM and a just noticable change in throttle response.

Proper intro: Hi guys, new to this site. Just got a new Busa. Its blue and silver. I got these colors because they seem to be the fastest! I been riding motorcycles for about 20 minutes now. Looking forward to positive interaction with all of you. Here are some pics of my new ride;............ BTW.....what's TRE?

Welcome Again.

Sweet bike.......red is pretty quick. It will get you where you're going. A warm welcome to you!

I just took this pic as requested and posted. Completely stock [/QUOTE]

Much better! Now ditch the reflectors and warning stickers.
biggrin.gif

BTW.....what's TRE?[/i]
Well I did my research like a good boy should, and found that a TRE is a Timing Retard Eliminator.

If they do what is claimed then it sounds like it could improve the surging I feel.

Now the real question is do you guys run these and do they work?
There are a billion threads on this board talking about the pro/cons of the the TRE... I suggest you do a search, and take a desicion. If you do decide to go for one, then I suggest you go for Ivan's Smart TRE. You can order one of those from Ivan's website... or from http://www.schnitzracing.com .

...if you dont wish to go the TRE way, then you can always get yourself a PC3 USB and get a custome MAP for it to smoothen out the power delivery. Check out http://www.powercommander.com if you want more details on the PC3

Nice pic and welcome to the site. I'd get your baby on pavement though, you're cruisin' for a bruisin' with her parked on that gravel!
With only 80 plus miles on your new ride, I just wouldn't go out and buy a TRE or whatever because you think you have a surge at 4000 +/- RPM. There might be a problem if you feel it while in 5th or 6th gear, but these babies don't run to smoothly at constant speed in any gear lower than that. I'd give it a few hundred miles and an oil/filter change to see if it smooths out.

I have all the same characteristics on my 2005 which now has 1300 miles on it. The PCIIIusb that I added helped the bottom end throttle response a bit but the bike still idles rough and has a rough gait around 2500 just idling along. My boots brought the pegs up on me all the time when I first got the bike. It was the boot heel catching on the peg. I went to the local boot barn and got some boots with a flat crape sort of sole and no more problems. Also, I ground the outer rubber lip off the footpeg. It sticks up and it is not much more clearance but it is a pinch.

Back