Newbie Owner question

jimg

Registered
Hi all,
I've just purchased a second hand 2000 busa ( 34000klms ) and after running it for about 2000 - 3000klms I'd like to compare what I'm experiencing with other owners.

Flat Spot, missing/surging type behaviour
When I'm riding around town I'm noticing a flat spot around 2500rpms and when I'm in 3rd around this rev range the bike is
surging and running a bit rough. Is this standard busa behaviour or something to do with emmision control switching at this rev range, gear choice like the bike shop told me.

Cam Chain.
The cam chain recall work has been done on this bike, yet when I start it up in the morning and bring it off choke I can really hear it rattleing around. It seems to get better as the bike warms up. I've had the bike shop up about this and they say its probably between settings, however I've done over 2000k since then and its still there. Normal or should I worry?

Cheers for your help

Jimbo

I've had the bike shop up about this and they say its probably between settings, however I've done over 2000k since then and its still there. Normal or should I worry?
[/QUOTE]
First Welcome to the board.
I'm not sure what you mean by "it's probably between settings" but if you are talking about the chain being on wrong there is a very easy way to find out. Put it on a Dyno. When I got my 00 I had to wait for the recall to be done before I could take delivery of it. I later found out that the chain was put on wrong. Here is a pic of my Dyno run before and after.
dynorun.jpg

Hi jwcfbd

The Bike Shop told me the cam chain adjuster was self adjusting, and this noise I was hearing was probably because
it was to tight for one setting but not loose enough for it to click into the next setting.

what do you think? it sounded plausable at the time.

Cheers Jimbo

Welome to the board Jim.
The surging behaviour has been talked about on this board a few times.....and most will agree it is normal....the Busa just doesn't like low speeds.
It is possible that the cam chain tensioner will tighten soon but no guarantee......I just went through the same thing with a zx-7 that I recently bought to re-sell.
The cam chain started rattling like crazy shortly after I bought it......so I talked to a few people and they all said the same thing......ride it till it tightens......so I did and it worked perfect......took about 400klms before it tightened.

Cheers for that monsterspeedfreak

I'm pleased its a feature, as the rest of the time it performs smoothly and faultlessly.

Thats made me feel a lot better
smile.gif

Cheers Jim.

Back