Common problems, OIL leak?

kickinit

Registered
Just curious if any common problems as in oil leaks. I went out tearin it up a little late last night and after about 20mins of riding I stopped (stopped a few times before that) I had a decent amount of smoke. Looked down under and saw 1-2 drops of oil. So I parked it and over the night I lost about 1 cup of oil. The oil seems to be coming from above the headers but haven't gotten a good look. Heads maybe? Anyway Just curious of there is a problem area or might I be looking for an overhaul. 6500 miles on the original engine.

Also if a rebuilt engine is needed or an overhaul, anyone know of anyone wayyyyy south in texas thats trust worthy. I would prefer to do it myself but thats just not in the cards right now.

Yeah I know first things first, find the leak.. I just want to get all sides of the story first.

If this is the wrong section, oops.

I have my pair system removed not sure if that could leak enough to cause this. Others will chime in, in general I've not heard of any oil leaks from the head itself.:thumbsup:

I have my pair system removed not sure if that could leak enough to cause this. Others will chime in, in general I've not heard of any oil leaks from the head itself.:thumbsup:

What sucks is there are several mods on this bike, but not sure what and what he hasn't done so im riding easy until I get to work out the little quarks etc..

Not a common problem. Quite surprising for a bike with so few miles. Need more details and pics if possible.

Year?
Recent work?

what was/has been done with bike? likely the rocker cover gasket is screwed up

If coming from near exhaust,remove fairings,crank bike,watch the little holes below each pipe whichever one leaks,you need the oring for the valve cover gasket..I just shipped some out to a guy in NC wih same problem..

If coming from near exhaust,remove fairings,crank bike,watch the little holes below each pipe whichever one leaks,you need the oring for the valve cover gasket..I just shipped some out to a guy in NC wih same problem..

Thats actually my plan, my state inspection is due so I need to go pass that quick and then rip the bike apart again.

I checked all obvious points, oil filter, sensors, oil pan (even though its above the headers) but not any of those at least for as far up as I can see. No recent mods that I know of (engine wise). It blows to say the least, but hopefully its nothing big.

I think I blew out a seal because im a moron, well not all my fault since the bike was modded even before the last owner. Im owner #3, and #1 did the mods.

If the pair and small air box mod were done, and I reconnected the hose from the crank case to the airbox, I could have blown a seal correct????

Ok I figured while I pull the fairings off I might as well have replacement plugs/fluids since I needed to bleed my new clutch master. That was easy as heck with the suction tool. So I pull the airbox and get to the plugs, well they are toast so I replace them. As stated above I have a oil leak somewhere upfront. So I clean good as I go, not much to clean which is weird considering the oil I had coming out of it a few weeks ago. Ok so I get it all together, hoses and line ends have some oxidation so I spray and whipe that goodie...

ALL together minus the fairings, NOW to see about this leak. Last time I started it within 2 minutes it was smoking (oil dropping on the pipes) and leaking. this time I did have alot of smoke at first but it was just burning off the silcon spray I used. No biggie its all but burned off but no leak. So i ride for a few mins then back to the garage, no leak no smoke, ok so I ride it again for a few mins kind of hard, no smell, no smoke, no leak WTF! I mean I didn't want it to be a bad leak but in my experience leaks dont fix themselves and if they do it doesnt last long.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO my question is, I noticed the last moron that had the bike overfilled the oil quite a bit, could this has just bypassed a seal due to the pressure build up and now good or what???? HELP I want to put the fairings on and FINALLY get this bike Texas legal..

I had the same issue after having the valves checked. What happened was when the valve cover was put back on, one of the o-rings was pinched that go around the spark plug openings. I pulled the valve cover back off and re-seated the o-ring. Problem solved. The weep holes are there to allow water that may accumulate in the spark plug hole to escape.

thanks man

Weird thing is I didnt pull the valve cover and actually contrary to my first thought of where the oil was coming from, no oil was found anywhere near the heads, but that little pressure switch just to the right of the oil filter was soked in oil ( i was going to tighten but wanted to see the leak first) basically I just wanted to clean it up a little and then fire it up, but now it wont leak.... I just dont want it leaking when im far from home or something you know...

i have the same exact problem can someone help same mods too except theres a closed off nipple thing on my crank cas where the hose was for airbox mod is this good or bad??:poke:

Back