Question: Roadlok vs Kryptonite Disc lock

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
Im curious what are the advantages of a Roadlok compared to NY disc lock I have?
Obvious ones are it's always mounted and you would not have to worry about where it was. Also the fact bike won't move , roll forward or possibly damage anything by moving a bit.
But what are any other advantages I may not be thinking of ?
It doesn't make the bike anymore secure does it ?

Pic of one I've got...
110716f2.jpg

Looks like you can cut that with bolt cutters....

you would have one hell of a time trying that.

I have the older style kryptonite lock and i use it in conjunction with my roadlock when parked for long of periods of time. i feel like it would be too easy for 2 guys to wheel the busa away with just the roadlock. I can pick up the rear of the busa easily.with both of em no wheels are able to spin.

I also use Krptonite disck locks for both front & rear rotors (positioned so front vs rear is "staggered", limiting movement when bike is rolled forward or back).

As we all know, 2-3 strong bodies and a van/pick-up will easily DEFEAT any lock so my hope is to make my bike a less attractive traget.

you would have one hell of a time trying that.

I have the older style kryptonite lock and i use it in conjunction with my roadlock when parked for long of periods of time. i feel like it would be too easy for 2 guys to wheel the busa away with just the roadlock. I can pick up the rear of the busa easily.with both of em no wheels are able to spin.

I think you already touched on the key features that separate the units. Most important, won't break or damage anything. Bent rotor or busted fender can add up to big bucks.

One other thing is if you do forget to take it off and bends something there is the added risk of damaging the lock itself and not being not able to remove it with the key. Ask me how I know this senario :whistle: Happens at home no big deal, I am sure most of us have a cutting wheel at home. Had this happened out over the road far from home, you could end up with a nightmare senario :laugh:

Pros come prepared to deal with locks extra people to carry it onto a van or pickup. Best bet now is to look into a recovery system GPS ( which can also be beat) and a alarm

The biggest advantage of the RoadLok is it cannot be cut easily. I could have that Kryptonite lock off in less than a minute with an angle grinder with cutting wheel.

The RoadLok pin pushes through the rotor within an inch of wheel movement forward or backward and it cannot be cut off short of a plasma cutter or hours of effort and then there would be collateral damage to the bike.

True, 2-3 strong guys can pick your bike up and haul it off in a van but even then they have to remove the rear wheel to remove the RoadLok. Not a prospect thieves look forward to.

The other big benefit of the RoadLok is if I try to drive away with it engaged I am immediately stopped, the rear rotor can't move. Any other kind of floating disc lock has enough play that serious damage can be done as it tries to bang around.

Get the RoadLok. It's $20 now. Cheap insurance for your favorite ride.

The biggest advantage of the RoadLok is it cannot be cut easily. I could have that Kryptonite lock off in less than a minute with an angle grinder with cutting wheel.

The RoadLok pin pushes through the rotor within an inch of wheel movement forward or backward and it cannot be cut off short of a plasma cutter or hours of effort and then there would be collateral damage to the bike.

True, 2-3 strong guys can pick your bike up and haul it off in a van but even then they have to remove the rear wheel to remove the RoadLok. Not a prospect thieves look forward to.

The other big benefit of the RoadLok is if I try to drive away with it engaged I am immediately stopped, the rear rotor can't move. Any other kind of floating disc lock has enough play that serious damage can be done as it tries to bang around.

20.00 where??? I'll order one right now. Still 124 on their site :(

I think the important task is trying to establish deterrents. I have an alarm, the roadlok, and sometimes a coated cable with a huge master lock w/ protected shank. the alarm has the ignition kill activated, but as mentioned, the thieves can throw it in a truck and the squealing alarm will just sound like the popo and folks will move over......If they see all this crap hopefully they will just move on and find someone else to traumatize.....

Oh, and full coverage insurance!!!

if the only thing stopping the roadlok from being manipulated is removal of rear wheel, it seems a little more likely someone could have an electric impact and take the axle out than someone wiht a grinder and cut off wheel cutting through a 1" or so thick rod. imho anyway.

neither are thief proof weigh the pros and cons and make your decision. one reason i dont like the road lock is i dont like the way they look and they are there 24/7, also fitment wiht aftermarket rotors can be a hassle.

if the only thing stopping the roadlok from being manipulated is removal of rear wheel, it seems a little more likely someone could have an electric impact and take the axle out than someone wiht a grinder and cut off wheel cutting through a 1" or so thick rod. imho anyway.

neither are thief proof weigh the pros and cons and make your decision. one reason i dont like the road lock is i dont like the way they look and they are there 24/7, also fitment wiht aftermarket rotors can be a hassle.

Thats what I am hoping wont be an issue. My rear rotor should be here in a few days followed by my fronts. In choosing a new rear rotor, I got one that should be compatible with the roadlok. Only time will tell :please:

Thats what I am hoping wont be an issue. My rear rotor should be here in a few days followed by my fronts. In choosing a new rear rotor I got one that should be compatible with the roadlok. Only time will tell :please:

if they are wave type people have had both experiences, some have taken and opened up the cuts a little so the pin can engage them.

"locks are for honest people, a theif will find a way" I want a lo jack for my bike but i would have to travel 150 miles to have it put on. (can't do it myself I guess) and the price isn't listed on their (lojack) site either. im scared to ask how much:laugh:

Blanca, one big advantage of the RoadLok is that it stays on your bike. You can't take it off and lose it or forget to pack it, like you can with a disc lock.

Back