ques on painting wheels

nolo263

Registered
i was thinking of painting the wheels with aluminum color 1200 farenheit high heat spray paint i have used it in the past on motors and stuff it holds up pretty good and doesnt look half bad. kinda like the silver on my 2000 busa. it isnt near as nice as chrome, and doesnt look as nice as polished alum but it would certainly be easier to maintain than polished alum. and best of all it could be done easy at home and would cost maybe 20 bucks for all supplies, if at worst i think you would have to retouch the wheels maybe once a year. what do you all think has anybody tried this?

Some powdercoat companies offer a chrome/ aluminum  finished with a clear coat that lQQkz pretty decent and will hold up better than paint. Just go through you yellow  pages to locate a coating company or powder coating  co.near or in you area. Also it should only cost around $75 to $90 a rim. Just make sure they use exterior type powder coat that has  UV protection.

uploaded_banner.jpg

[/b]</span>[/url]send a private message to Rhythm or KS-WaterBug for password to recieve group discount price on HID kits.

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1107934558 -->

uploaded_banner.jpg

Some powdercoat companies offer a chrome/ aluminum  finished with a clear coat that lQQkz pretty decent and will hold up better than paint. Just go through you yellow  pages to locate a coating company or powder coating  co.near or in you area. Also it should only cost around $75 to $90 a rim. Just make sure they use exterior type powder coat that has  UV protection.

uploaded_banner.jpg

[/b]</span>[/url]send a private message to Rhythm or KS-WaterBug for password to recieve group discount price on HID kits.
Rhythm is right, paint won't hold up in the long run, especially from a spray can. With paint, you can either have a top coat over the existing paint but then the paint is too thick and prone to chipping, cracking, shrinking or other failures. The better way is to strip off the old paint and prep the metal with a conditioner, use good primer and then paint with a quality urethane paint. Paint can give you a much higher gloss than powdercoat, but is still not nearly as durable and much more expensive.
Local shops are getting around $100 per wheel for powdercoat, $200 and up for paint. The powdercoat holds up much better to tire changes also.

uploaded_banner.jpg

Back