Need help!

busa1300nut

Registered
I need to know if anyone has polished their rims? I took my wheels to a guy 3 weks ago, and he has not touched them yet. I,m thinking about doing them myself. I,ve polished many alum. parts, but I,ve never tried doing rims before. What I need to know is, does the aircraft striper efect the powder coating, or just the paint on the rims. All I want to pollish is the lips, not the whole wheel, any advice would be greatly apperciated.

I need to know if anyone has polished their rims? I took my wheels to a guy 3 weks ago, and he has not touched them yet. I,m thinking about doing them myself. I,ve polished many alum. parts, but I,ve never tried doing rims before. What I need to know is, does the aircraft striper efect the powder coating, or just the paint on the rims. All I want to pollish is the lips, not the whole wheel, any advice would be greatly apperciated.
just get a new polishing guy....thats what I'd do....if you have the coin (if $ is no prob) , then let a pro do it . You've polished shid before , you know what I'm talkin' about . Its a thankless job . I do all my own painting, polishing,rebuilds,repairs , thats just because I love it . I love the challenge , the frustration , the trials an' tribulations .

if yer not into the headache...hire sum 1....

I just took aircraft stripper too my wheels . I'm not sure I understand yer question thou..."Does aircraft stripper affect the powder coating or just the paint?" are your wheels painted and powder coated ?

Freak polishing them anyway...Get them chromed since their already off the bike...Oh but you said you wanted just the lip done...I wouldn't even bother for no more than that...
evil.gif

And for the aircraft stripper just tape off what you don't want it to effect...And it may or may not strip the area you want to deal with...
evil.gif

I did mine.
8 hours of labor, bloody fingertips, rims looked good in the end.... won't do it agin myself.
sad.gif

Sand paper, sand paper, sand paper...all u need is sand paper. just start with 220, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000, then mothers aluminum polish. u dont need aircraft stripper(for paint and powder coats) or oven cleaner(for anodized finish). just sand the piss out of it buddy.

They make a "friable" wheel for a grinder that looks similar to a bench grinder wheel but polishes like a mother fugger!

They must make one for a die grinder or angle grinder that would take a bunch of work out of polishing.

Thank,s for all the replys!
I went and picked up my wheels today and started polishing the rims, so far I,ve striped the front wheel and I,m up to 400 on the sanding. Thanks again for the replys.
smile.gif

GET THEM CHROMED IT 'LL COST YOU LESS IN THE LONG RUN...

Just keep in mind to keep those w[olished wheels looking good you are gonna have to go back and polish them on a regular basis......:(

There are many ways to polish aluminum. Some are less labor-intense than others. I can relate to very sore finger tips...! As mentioned, if you ride much, polished aluminum parts do need periodic touch-up to keep them at their peak gloss. Some people clear-coat paint (or clear powder-coat) their polished parts. Clear powder-coat holds up quite well but clear paint tends to dull the polished effect after a while and can turn yellowish from UV light degradation. Several applications of a good wax polish or multiple applications of Zaino REALLY help maintain the shine and extend the time between touch-ups.

Just thought I would let everyone know, I finished my rim,s and put them on today, and they came out great. Will post pics soon.

Back