Pro's and Con's of Single Sided Swing Arms!

delock

Registered
Really thinking about going with a single sided swingarm. Either 300 or 330.

So what are my fellow riders thoughts this morning?

I really like the look and am considering it myself. However, I have heard SSS Busas referred to as "Trailer Queens" since they can't withstand the power of drag racing or road racing and apparently, they break, twist, shred parts frequently. Although, I have NOT had anyone show pictures of the results or anything, so it's all just hearsay. There are a bunch of nice kits out there and they all guarantee against manufacturer's defects, but they also will not honor a warranty if you have obviously abused the arm by drag racing. Not sure how they'd know though. If you go SSS, Roaring Toyz has an awesome SSS Outside Drive (OSD) arm coming out next year (according to them). It's the one you see on their Blue 2009 RT Busa on their website.

I love the look of them but I too have heard many horror stories of them twisting/failing under the busa's power. I also have seen NO pictures or any of them in person only hearsay also. good luck and post some pics if you get them :beerchug::thumbsup:

I killed my osd kit and got fingers pointed at me when it came to fixing it. Real headache spent over 1800 to fix it since I had to trailer the bike there 600 for a bearing and 1200 for room and gas:whistle:

they sure look sweet, but if you like single sided then get a ducati bro... the busa is not made to be single sided... that is my opinion!

I killed my osd kit and got fingers pointed at me when it came to fixing it. Real headache spent over 1800 to fix it since I had to trailer the bike there 600 for a bearing and 1200 for room and gas:whistle:

Unfortinate that most manufactures and warrenty.....is good, but then they grab you and say you installed it wrong..SORRY! That is how it always works in the market of customs.

If you are REALY going to ride it like a BUSA should be...stay away from single sided fatties. IF show ..then your fine. IF you going to go all out when you ride or even race it at the track like I do....go OSD 330 standard arm. YOu will not be sorry, but the OSD must be installed with carefull adjustment and consideration for what/how your putting it on.
Thu DMK had a misshap with his OSD..for the strength of a fatty its the way to go. Say no to Crapshafts jackshafts.
For the single side arms...imagine all that BUSA torgue pulling that heavy fatty that is only supported on one side???

Last edited:
anything can be engineered properly, if one has the time, patience, experience/talent and money to pull it off.

cuz last time I checkd, Busa's werent made to go 263mph either:whistle:
that dont stop folks who are dedicated to their goals...just those who are looking for easy excuses to quit something:rulez:

If you want a SS arm do your homework and you wont be dissapointed-unless you're building a track bike...in which case, Im sure this question wouldnt even be in your mind.
Good luck w/whatever direction you go. Just dont let someone tell you "No you cant" becasue their uncle's-daughter's-next-door-neighbor's-best friend had something and it didnt work out for them.:thumbsup:

A lot hassle for bling only. Not my taste but its the nice to see the wheel opened up. They're usually heavier than a traditional arm due to the forces put on one side. A lot of bracing and heavier walled tubing. Gadsons turbo tribute bike has a cs on it and they ran it with no reported failures yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

I like the look of the single sided swing arms but only on from one side of the bike:laugh: the other side that has the swing arm looks horrible:laugh: This is jmo :hide:

I did a few years in iraq so i dropped some money to allthingschrome.com and bought there SSS for my busa. i was on rnr so i had a limited amount of time to get it, put it on and ride before i had to go back. when you get something so custom, it takes time to finish. they where 2 weeks late but got the job done. it took me about a day to get it all put together and 3 hrs for the wheel shop to get that tire on. but once it was together it was beautiful. and with the 330 the tire is more rounded and i am able to really lean in and hang on the twisties with the rest of the pack. if you lower the front a bit she can actually knee drag, some say it looks funny on the curbs because the most of the tire is up in the air. but its still sweet. but she pulls a tiny bit if you let go of the bars. so you have to be careful. and for obvious reasons. you shouldn't drag race your bike if you put any kind of jack shaft. but the shop stands behind there work so all you have to do is keep in touch with them and they will keep your product up to date. facebook.com/rportwood to check out the pictures...

20100821_3.jpg

20100821_10.jpg

20100913_34.jpg

20100821_3.jpg

20100821_10.jpg

20100913_34.jpg

Draggin a knee,on a Busa,with a 330 out back?

Now THATS a pic Id love to see lol!

Last edited:
If I had more than 1 busa, it'd be fun to trailer around a fat-tire bike, but I ride mine and like the way it corners now...with stock swing arm, 190.

i was in a hard digg twisted the jackshaft. i glad it didnt lock up. i was at approx 140mph when the chain popped off.

photo5.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo3.jpg

i was in a hard digg twisted the jackshaft. i glad it didnt lock up. i was at approx 140mph when the chain popped off.

its crazy how much that bike looks like my bike...

i see you painted the inners and mirrors though :thumbsup:

DSC01221.jpg

DSC01221.jpg
[/QUO

i see you tried polishing your rear wheel lol. it took me about 20 hrs of hand sanding until i broke out power tools. I have approx 150 hrs polish time in my bike. I cant justify spending 7gs in a fat tire kit when i dont have a turbo yet.

DSC01221.jpg
[/QUO

i see you tried polishing your rear wheel lol. it took me about 20 hrs of hand sanding until i broke out power tools. I have approx 150 hrs polish time in my bike. I cant justify spending 7gs in a fat tire kit when i dont have a turbo yet.

no didnt try to polish, just strip it to bare aluminum, i didnt like the gold, weve stripped several bike wheels and painted the center. didnt work out so good on my bike for some reason. im just gonna chrome them or pick up a set of aftermartkets.

Back