problems with rear axle

rockethead

Registered
how many of you guys have to use a rubber mallet to get rear axle through wheel and other side to get castle nut on for GEN1? am i supossed to beat on it like i do? unless im hammering it in like a worker uses a sledge hammer to drive in railroad spikes it won't go it. i have no clue what it could be hitting in there that would make it not slide through easily? am i doing something wrong? I have had he wheels off 4-5 times now and everytime same thing. front isn't as bad as the rear either.

Is it lined up perfect?
A bit of grease on the axle? (not too much, otherwise it will get everywhere)

I have a brick that I prop the tire on and it lines everything up perfect. I don't have to "hammer" it per say, but I have to use a rubber mallet to nudge the axle all the way in.

maybe some grease next time will help. My Dad helps me when I wrench so he hold everything up straight and alligned but I had to pound it in. yeah, I'll try the grease next time. anything specific to use? white lithium grease isn't it?

Like stated above brother. inspect the axle for any scaring, make sure it's clean and lubed, make sure the alignment is right. Mine slides in with the hand , then two or three wacks with the rubber mallet to get that last 1 / or 1/2 " in.

Oh boy did I open a big door :tiptoe:

I take a shovel and put it under the wheel off the floor, use it as a lever, movement is slow and no effort pushing down.

then I'm doing it wrong then. I got tires on order so when I pull the wheels again I'll inspect axle to make sure I am not ruining it lol and I'll pick up some grease to aid when it's time to remount. thanks for the input guys. like always, this place is the biggest garage on the planet with the most knowledgable people in it:thumbsup: :boy, the cost for a round of beers tho...geesh::laugh::beerchug:

Slight chance it might be bent. Pit the axle on a straight edge and rotate the axle. It should be completely flat against the straight edge. It only takes a second to check.

Like stated above brother. inspect the axle for any scaring, make sure it's clean and lubed, make sure the alignment is right. Mine slides in with the hand , then two or three wacks with the rubber mallet to get that last 1 / or 1/2 " in.

Im not even going there!

Try putting the axle throught the wheel off the bike. Are these the aftermarket wheels/bearings you recently bought also?

yeah, but same thing happens when mounting OEM wheel also. 100 bills for rear axle & castle nut. I'll yank the wheel and check it out, if it looks sketchy I'll buy new just for peace of mind.

I think you have something wrong. I have never had to hit my axle with anything to get it out or put it back. Hand pressure only. Loosen the chain to take the tension off if you have too, but you shouldnt be hitting it with anything. ???

how many of you guys have to use a rubber mallet to get rear axle through wheel and other side to get castle nut on for GEN1? am i supossed to beat on it like i do? unless im hammering it in like a worker uses a sledge hammer to drive in railroad spikes it won't go it. i have no clue what it could be hitting in there that would make it not slide through easily? am i doing something wrong? I have had he wheels off 4-5 times now and everytime same thing. front isn't as bad as the rear either.

I do. Hey, it's a tight space to get in there. Find nothing wrong with that.

I had the same thing, went in fine till the last inch or so.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm pretty much like everyone else, bump it with a rubber mallet for the last coupla inches. Axle straight and greased, use my feet/ankles to prop the wheel up, can actually use the heel of my hand, but has a tendency to be a little sore afterwards, so sub the mallet.

Don't hammer on that sucker, you aren't lined up correctly. It should pretty much slide in.

Back