Probably gonna get flamed but....

ColdBusa

Take this Jerry, you silly little rodent
Donating Member
Registered
What do you use to get the oil filter out?? I tried a metal strap wrench from Crappy Tire, but I broke it(it was cheap). I have stock everything, and I wanna change the oil and filter before I store "Laquisha" for winter. Can you actually use a pipe wrench?? I hate being stuck in a project that I haven't even started.

Be gentle....
AAAssjani.gif

Maybe my Strap-wrench is a little better than the one you used. Works great for me...even though it took me a while to figgure the darn thing out...go ahead and laugh...I laughed at myself when I realized how darn simple the thing was to use...darn Polish in me.

(BA BUSA @ Oct. 26 2006,23:08) A large pair of channel locks will work to get it off
wink.gif
+1 and get a K&N filter . they have a nut on the end to use for easy removal.

Sweet, I should do the K&N filter.  What size do I need?? I was just going to go to the stealership and buy a new filter from them.

(ColdBusa @ Oct. 27 2006,04:42) Sweet, I should do the K&N filter.  What size do I need??  I was just going to go to the stealership and buy a new filter from them.
K&N 138

If you have the stock filter in, you can get an oil filter wrench for like $5 at the stealership... maybe a little less at autozone... that way you can get some ratchet action on that baby!

I bought a 8 dollar oil filter plier and it works on everything...

(jessup @ Oct. 27 2006,09:02) I bought a 8 dollar oil filter plier and it works on everything...
+1 works great and it's so easy to use even i can't mess it up
laugh.gif

(frisbee @ Oct. 27 2006,01:15)
(BA BUSA @ Oct. 26 2006,23:08) A large pair of channel locks will work to get it off
wink.gif
+1 and get a K&N filter . they have a nut on the end to use for easy removal.
That damm thing always strips off.

I just use the Suzuki filters these days. Works just fine.

There's a plier wrench that I use but you have to be careful using it to tighten the new filters.

B000HBAIT0.01-A1PMFQJXD8A6ZK._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V58823534_.jpg

See what you think of that one.

--Wag--

(Mr Brown @ Oct. 27 2006,07:02) If you are getting a new filter, take a screwdriver to the old one. Messy, but guaranteed to come off..........
That has failed for me in a past lifetime, leaving me with a worse mess than I had before. Ended up having to notch the filter base and hammer it off with a chisel. NOT a good time!

I've never tried it again.

--Wag--

(Wag @ Oct. 27 2006,18:35)
(Mr Brown @ Oct. 27 2006,07:02) If you are getting a new filter, take a screwdriver to the old one. Messy, but guaranteed to come off..........
That has failed for me in a past lifetime, leaving me with a worse mess than I had before.  Ended up having to notch the filter base and hammer it off with a chisel.  NOT a good time!

--Wag--
Wow, that would suck!
I've done it several times, never had that happen, but it could, I guess..........

(Mr Brown @ Oct. 27 2006,17:51)
(Wag @ Oct. 27 2006,18:35)
That has failed for me in a past lifetime, leaving me with a worse mess than I had before. Ended up having to notch the filter base and hammer it off with a chisel. NOT a good time!

--Wag--
Wow, that would suck!
I've done it several times, never had that happen, but it could, I guess..........
Yup. Turned a twenty minute oil change into a four hour ordeal.

In all fairness, I should have mentioned that the idiot who had changed the filter the previous time didn't put oil on the seal before screwing it down and then, when he wrenched it on, he tightened it as tight as he could.

I also should mention, that idiot was me, changing my oil for the first time twenty plus years ago!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Live and learn.

Fact is, the screwdriver thing will probably work in a pinch under "normal" circumstances. Nowadays, if I'm in a pinch, I can wrap a shop rag around the filter and twist it off with a screwdriver twisted through the rag. Usually dents the filter pretty good but less messy than punching the screwdriver through the filter.

--Wag--

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Thanks for all the tips guys.  I got my last ride in for the season tonight and then did my oil change.  I used locks similar to "Wag"s" post.  It worked really good, I was acutally able to get the suzuki filter off.  Though I did manage to scrape a lot of paint off the new filter it worked perfect.
I am running a no name filter for winter and I have a K&N filter for spring.  

The removal of the fairring, oil, and the replacement of the oil was a quick and easy process.  The only thing that pissed me off was the clip that is under the right air intake.  That peace of &*(& took me about 20min to figure out even though I had done it before.  
rant.gif

I love this site...  Thanks guys.

Back