alternative oil filters.

emptys

Donating Member
Registered
does anyone know if its possible to replace the 20mm x 1mm
oil filter union with some other union to use better oil filters?

like trying to get a union which has a 20mm x 1.5mm pitch
so that purolator pure one pl14459 or pl14610 ? i haven't
measured yet to see if the o-ring would be a different size,
but if the union could be replaced, there a possibility of using
much better quality, and cheaper oil filters...

there's two heights for the pure-one filters...

let me see if i can find physical dimentions...

PL14459
Height: 2.95"
OD: 3.15"
Threads: M20x1.5
Relief Valve: 12 - 15 PSI

PL14610
Height: 3.52"
OD: 2.69"
Threads: M20x1.5
Relief Valve: 14 - 18 PSI

i'll check on the OEM...

Hello, first you must be concerned with flow characteristics of oil filters. Depending on the media contained in the filter, most small particle filters have a lot less oil flow per minute compared to a regular filter. This means that yes the filter is getting rid of all the small particles but it is starving crucial metal parts on start up. I think if you want to pursue this idea you should use a standard filter like a regular purolator or supertech walmart, made be champ lab. same as ac, stp,luberfiner, or something like that. Motorcylce oil systems are all about flow rather that particle filtration. More oil getting to parts will usually result in less wear than delayed super clean oil. I'm not knocking the pure one, great filter media, but the test I have read on it shows poor oil flow and great filtration, this is not always the best. Any questions I will happily answer.

rock.gif

I would simply run K&N oil filters. They work well, and install easy. I cannot fathom why you would mess with using a filter not designed for the Busa, sounds like a crap load of hassle.

You could alos use a Scott's Stainless lifetime filter, they rock and flow more oil than anything else out there.

K&N oil filters, at least the auto filters, are made by Champion Labs. Champ labs make stp,ac delco, super tech, luberfiner and many others. Really they are not worth the money. Go out and buy a emgo or hiflo-filtro. I use the hiflo-filtro part # HF-138 on my busa.

Hmm according to what I have read, the K&N filters work great, better than OEM Yamaha and better than most of the other Bike Spec filters. Emgo is at the bottom of the list at work.

Sounds like a lot of extra worry for nothing.....'

If you change your oil regularly...what is wrong with a plain old factory filter?

The factory filter is fine but pricey. This is why I use the hiflo-filtro HF-138 because it is half the price of the factory job. What I like about this filter is that the base that screws to the bike is extremely thick and well made, but there are better filters out there. The hiflo flows great and that is what I consider more important than filtration for our application. Guys check out this website, this guy tore apart a bunch of filters and you can see what you are buying.

www.oilfilterstudy.com or

www.motorcycleinfo.calsci/FilterStudy.html

Back