How the heck???

ColdBusa

Take this Jerry, you silly little rodent
Donating Member
Registered
I did an oil change the other day and I was gonna replace my filter as well(might as well) and I couldn't get the oil filter out. My wrench was too big, then I go and buy a smaller one and it still wont bite. Do you guys use the strap type or are you useing the ones that go on the end? This is really buggin me, even though I didn't have to I just wanna get it out and change it next time.
Any help would be great thanks.

Oh yeah and if somebody had the time could you take a pic of your drain plug installed? I would really like to know if the dealership forgot to put a compression washer in, because when I did mine there wasn't one. thanks.

The washer is very thin and i doubt you could tell by looking at it while installed. Why wouldnt you want to change your filter when you change your oil??? I change my oil/filter at the same time every time. I got a "oil filter wrench" the kind that goes on the end that you connect to a ratchet from the dealer. I've seen others talk about getting one from an auto parts store but it would help to know the size of the "wrench" before you go. Take your new filter and go to a auto parts store and say i need a filter wrench to fit this filter...

i use the suzuki cap that goes on the end of the filter that i picked up from the dealer. you can remove the filter w/ a 3/8 socket wrench. grab some tin foil and wrap those header pipes and this will make for easy cleanup. to literally remove the filter once unscrewed, just pull out and downward towards yourelf and it will come right out. it's a tight squeeze but it will work. good luck!
nick

i use the suzuki cap that goes on the end of the filter that i picked up from the dealer.  you can remove the filter w/ a 3/8 socket wrench. grab some tin foil and wrap those header pipes and this will make for easy cleanup.   to literally remove the filter once unscrewed, just pull out and downward towards yourelf and it will come right out. it's a tight squeeze but it will work.  good luck!
nick
Good tip on the foil. I usually use plastic that doesnt always stay put.

parts store but it would help to know the size of the "wrench" before you go. Take your new filter and go to a auto parts store and say i need a filter wrench to fit this filter...[/QUOTE]
I brought a brand new filter to auto zone and they did not have one that fit it!
If I go to the dealer,I have to order it!!
WTF

a strap wrench from WalMart works just fine. Those compression washers are on there pretty good. It would not fall off.

hogger...

i use the suzuki cap that goes on the end of the filter that i picked up from the dealer.  you can remove the filter w/ a 3/8 socket wrench. grab some tin foil and wrap those header pipes and this will make for easy cleanup.   to literally remove the filter once unscrewed, just pull out and downward towards yourelf and it will come right out. it's a tight squeeze but it will work.  good luck!
nick
+1 and great tip on the foil!

cool thanks guys. And of course the one OMSLAW put a link for is the one that I was going to buy but didn't. lol. I do change my oil filter every time, but this is the first time that I did it. I took it to the dealership before, but they scratched my fairing and wouldn't fix it so I said capoots to them. Pretty sad, because all it needed was a $10 buff job.

Back