Oil Filter Removal

GoAWOL

Abiit, excessit, evasit
Donating Member
Registered
Did my 600 mile oil change yesterday and followed all of the suggestions from board members. One problem I did run into that I couldn't find addressed here was getting the oil filter out of the engine compartment area once it was off of the engine.

I had to take a bolt out of the radiator mount at the front between the headers and bend the mount back to get the filter out. And even then I had to twist the filter around (dumping oil on my pipes!Arghh) to get it out.

What could I do better next time?

I took off the oil line that is right there going to the motor... with that moved and out of the way the oil-filter was able to come right out. Just have to make sure that gasket for the oil line is clean before reinstalling it, don't need that thing leaking.

put aluminum foil over the header pipes next time,it forms real nice around them and wont allow any oil to get on them,just make sure you have a pan underneath as for getting the filter out,i had no problems,just got to work it around until you find that "right" place where it will come out.

(DEVLDOG @ May 10 2007,05:17) put aluminum foil over the header pipes next time,it forms real nice around them and wont allow any oil to get on them,just make sure you have a pan underneath as for getting the filter out,i had no problems,just got to work it around until you find that "right" place where it will come out.
I had a towel protecting the area I thought the oil was going to spill but once I had to manipulate the filter to figure how I could get it out I did get oil everywhere. Next time I will do the foil thing. I still wonder if there is a certain trick to slide the oil filter out......

Do you have stock exhaust? If so, just put foil over the header pipes and the filter should come out fairly easily.

If you have an aftermarket exhaust...yeah, they can be tricky.

(omslaw @ May 10 2007,06:20) Do you have stock exhaust? If so, just put foil over the header pipes and the filter should come out fairly easily.

If you have an aftermarket exhaust...yeah, they can be tricky.
No, the bike is stock...I hadn't seen anything in the oil change threads about any issues so when I had a problem I was curious. The filter definitely did not come out easily.

If it's stock headers the filter comes right out without removing or bending anything. There's no trick to it.

You need to be smarter than the filter,,,, LOL

This May Help You Out!

Picture_017.jpg

As stated previously, I leave mine on the sidestand, break the seal, and it drains between the pipes. Rotate mine 90 degrees and it comes right out. All I remove is the brake side fairing. No foil used. Might get a drop on the pipe coming out. Easy cleanup.

cool...thanks for the helpful feedback. I'll give it another go in a few thousand miles.

now I know why the trick or treat candy always has a funny taste at your house! good pics n writeup... I always put a little oil in the filter before I mount it back on.

Back