Print is dead...

LC4CARL

Donating Member
Registered
I like to hold a paper magazine. And I have kept some of my favorites over time and come back to them years later. But so many great publications have either died off or gone digital only. I tried one digital magazine. It was actually ok. But after sitting in front of a computer for work, I'd prefer to take a break. What are you guys doing?

F55D73DE-9AEE-427F-9CD5-45CF7F990BCB-M.jpg

I like to hold a paper magazine. And I have kept some of my favorites over time and come back to them years later. But so many great publications have either died off or gone digital only. I tried one digital magazine. It was actually ok. But after sitting in front of a computer for work, I'd prefer to take a break. What are you guys doing?

View attachment 1675381
I too like to have a paper copy in my hands over a computer screen.....

I used to have a whole pile of older bike magazines, some from the '80s that are in a newspaper type format....I tried to get a road test magazine of all the bikes I owned...

And I went through a phase where I would seek out people who had certain bikes and give them the magazine with the road test for their specific bike.....sometimes that would blow up in my face as down the road, I sometimes ended up getting the same bike and wishing I still had the magazine with the test in it.....

I had stacks and stacks of old, weight lifting, Mustang, and Sportbike magazines.
My Ma told me over a decade ago that there was Alot more in my old closet too, lol.
I sent most of all them to troops overseas.
I still have a handful left.
I think the one thing I miss most about the magazines, was the content, and that sounds funny, but, the bikes of today, by majority, just don't intrest me that much.
I glance at the magazines in stores on occasion, or the rare time I'm in a bookstore (that has a Huge magazine section), and I still see very little.
And, how much content can be put together every month, and stay interesting?
By the time the print hits the stand, it's old news, with our instant internet.
I miss the 80's, 90's, and early 2k's for Dirtwheels, Sportbike Rider, and a few others, back when the latest and greatest came out...and everyone was immediately waiting to see who was going to one-up that...kinda like the king of speed for years, the zx11, then the CBRxx1100...then the Busa.
Or the zx9 Ninja of '93, then the R1 of '99, the Gsxr1k of '01, and the amazing liter bikes that have followed.
I think we are just fortunate to have lived in a great and bygone era.

Last edited:
I had stacks and stacks of old, weight lifting, Mustang, and Sportbike magazines.
My Ma told me over a decade ago that there was Alot more in my old closet too, lol.
I sent most of all them to troops overseas.
I still have a handful left.
I think the one thing I miss most about the magazines, was the content, and that sounds funny, but, the bikes of today, by majority, just don't intrest me that much.
I glance at the magazines in stores on occasion, or the rare time I'm in a bookstore (that has a Huge magazine section), and I still see very little.
And, how much content can be put together every month, and stay interesting?
By the time the print hits the stand, it's old news, with our instant internet.
I miss the 80's, 90's, and early 2k's for Dirtwheels, Sportbike Rider, and a few others, back when the latest and greatest came out...and everyone was immediately waiting to see who was going to one-up that...kinda like the king of speed for years, the zx11, then the CBRxx1100...then the Busa.
Or the zx9 Ninja of '93, then the R1 of '99, the Gsxr1k of 01, and the amazing liter bikes that have followed.
I think we are just fortunate to have lived in a great and bygone era.
I miss the bikes of yesteryear as well.....living the days of 2 stroke race replicas and the early production turbo bikes.....

I look back at my road racing days and remembering walking through the pits and looking at all the different race bikes....

Then seeing pretty much the same non-race bikes sitting in parking lots and thinking (even in those days) what a special time this is.

Bikes of today don't interest me either for the most part, there are still a few that stand out though.......

I think it's more the sign of the times and the waning interest in motorcycling in general...the young people can't afford to ride and the older ones are stuck on their brands.

I miss the bikes of yesteryear as well.....living the days of 2 stroke race replicas and the early production turbo bikes.....

I look back at my road racing days and remembering walking through the pits and looking at all the different race bikes....

Then seeing pretty much the same non-race bikes sitting in parking lots and thinking (even in those days) what a special time this is.

Bikes of today don't interest me either for the most part, there are still a few that stand out though.......

I think it's more the sign of the times and the waning interest in motorcycling in general...the young people can't afford to ride and the older ones are stuck on their brands.

Yep!
I remember 4 of my good friends having 05/06 Gsxr1000's new.
Watching Ben Spies crash his Superbike(Road Atlanta??), and watching him win(or podium) on his back up bike...that still had the factory mudflap on it!
That was amazing, knowning I rode the Exact Same machine so often!
The mid/late 80's and into the late 90's, with all the crazy colors and new models from the big four, wow...now I just feel old...
lmao!!

I use to drive around on staurdays and setup autotrader stands and fill them with new copies, it was sweet little highschool gig but within a year and a half of doing it autotrader went to online only. I should have kept some old auto traders for my kids/grandkids.
I used to love the Autotrader and always got one to look through, when I was deployed there was always one in my care package from home...

There was another newspaper type market paper called the "Triad" and I loved that one as well.....there was everything and anything in there...

I use to drive around on staurdays and setup autotrader stands and fill them with new copies, it was sweet little highschool gig but within a year and a half of doing it autotrader went to online only. I should have kept some old auto traders for my kids/grandkids.

I use to always buy the Auto-Trader and the Cycle-Trader.
We also had one called "The Message Board" that didn't have pictures.
Those are all where we bought most things from around here, before the internet.

Yep!
I remember 4 of my good friends having 05/06 Gsxr1000's new.
Watching Ben Spies crash his Superbike(Road Atlanta??), and watching him win(or podium) on his back up bike...that still had the factory mudflap on it!
That was amazing, knowning I rode the Exact Same machine so often!
The mid/late 80's and into the late 90's, with all the crazy colors and new models from the big four, wow...now I just feel old...
lmao!!
I remember going on a road trip with the family and seeing a red and black GSXR1100 Slingshot for sale on the side of the road, stopping in, buying it and picking it up on the way home.....I fixed it up and ended up selling it before I even had a chance to plate it.......a guy I knew stopped by and had to have it....I had 6 other bikes at the time so letting it go was easy....

I picked up 2 or 3 bikes like that....and even rode a couple...

Those were the days..........not too often do I see a bike for sale on the side of the road anymore,,,,

I remember going on a road trip with the family and seeing a red and black GSXR1100 Slingshot for sale on the side of the road, stopping in, buying it and picking it up on the way home.....I fixed it up and ended up selling it before I even had a chance to plate it.......a guy I knew stopped by and had to have it....I had 6 other bikes at the time so letting it go was easy....

I picked up 2 or 3 bikes like that....and even rode a couple...

Those were the days..........not too often do I see a bike for sale on the side of the road anymore,,,,

Yeah, you're right, I hadn't thought about that either, but it is rare to see a bike for sale in someone's yard anymore..unless it's a Harley...those are everywhere here...and Always for sale...

Yeah, you're right, I hadn't thought about that either, but it is rare to see a bike for sale in someone's yard anymore..unless it's a Harley...those are everywhere here...and Always for sale...
I bought my '79 RD400 Daytona out of a farmer's field where the grass was as high as the handlebars....it was close to the road with a for sale sign on it...

I look at the odometer and it had 1500kms on it so I just had to find out how much it was...I got it for $500...apparently it was his son's bike who witnessed a fatal motorcycle accident and vowed to never ride again...the farmer just wanted it gone...

I had a lot of fun with that bike once I was done with it...in hindsight, I should have cleaned it up, put it in a bubble and sold it for the crazy prices they are fetching today...

My barber shop still has dozens of magazines to glance at while waiting. Most are gun related as the previous owner was a real gun nut. I still have a few CBXPress club magazines including the ones I wrote trip stories in. My fav of course is the cover story of my 82’s 8 states in 10 days tour with the 82 in the middle of hiway 395 in southern Oregon. I coulda had a picnic in the road that day.

IMG_3850.png

Anyone younger than 25 doesn’t know what a paper magazine is I’ll wager.

They are going the way of VCR’s, CD players, landlines, manual transmission cars, record players, etc etc.
I still have a VCR and CD player....I gave up the landline though....

It wasn't long ago that I had 6 foot tall Pyramid speakers and a JVC stereo system complete with cassette player and turn table.....music sounded better on the turn table for some reason...

One of my friends still has huge speakers and a reel to reel player in his living room.....

Those were the days............

My barber shop still has dozens of magazines to glance at while waiting. Most are gun related as the previous owner was a real gun nut. I still have a few CBXPress club magazines including the ones I wrote trip stories in. My fav of course is the cover story of my 82’s 8 states in 10 days tour with the 82 in the middle of hiway 395 in southern Oregon. I coulda had a picnic in the road that day.

View attachment 1675432

Love 395!

9364C679-F06A-4574-9EF1-996E61FD806B-M.jpg

For my novels, I listen to Audible or "books on tape" CD's from the library. It really helps the time in the car go by. Currently working through the Longmire series. Good stuff.

Back