power commander woes

flyby

Registered
my 01 turbo bike has the ecu upgrade and has run fine for a few years now with a used pc3usb in it. Then the bike decided not to start and I traced it to what I thought was the pc3 not supplying enough voltage to the injectors; the bike starts and runs without the power commander plugged in, but won't start with it plugged in. It will initially fire for a split second but then won't keep running. I also have the ecu flasher wired in and it has worked fine and I can flash. I tried a different ecu with the same results.
So I got on the phone with Dynojet Tech help and after their phone help I exchanged the pc3 for a new pc5. Same problem. With a zero map or my old map it has the same problem, so my dyno guy told me to send the pc5 back and have it checked because with a zero map the pc5 should have no affect on the bike, which I did and it passed all their tests and they returned it. Bike wont start with the pc5 connected. The battery is reading 10.9 volts across the battery terminals when cranking. With another battery jumpered onto mine it reads 11.7v and still won't start. Dynojet tech help says the only thing their pc5 does is intercept the injector signal and only reads from the TPS and their only suggestion is not enough voltage during cranking, which appears to not be the issue. My TPS appears to be working fine. I can set and reset the TPS values in the pc5 when the fuel pump is on during cranking. If it was the TPS then I think the issue should also show up without the pc5 plugged in, but it doesn't.
So I have been riding around without the pc5 plugged in because I can't resolve the problem. The bike starts fine and is rideable, but the map is way off. I have 40 lb injectors but they were not an issue for 3 years before all this hassle started.
Any pc5 gurus out their with any thoughts on this?

Just for fun do the following: open a zero map. Hit send. Then do a Get Map. Do you get an all zeroed out map back?

Also, what were the values in the 0% throttle column of your old map? I assume your old map was made with the 40lb injectors, yes?

ya i get zero map back. i think the zero column is -15 at idle in the pc3 map. i tried zero, -15, +15, the original dynoed map from the pc3. nothing works.

Just for fun do the following: open a zero map. Hit send. Then do a Get Map. Do you get an all zeroed out map back?

Also, what were the values in the 0% throttle column of your old map? I assume your old map was made with the 40lb injectors, yes?[/QUOTE]

Take the battery ground wire loose from the engine block and polish that puppy up with a wire brush. Many times I have found this to be the issue with low voltage on older bikes. You may have a hot battery with a poor ground, eh?

yes i could retrieve the map with the pc3.
i will try the ground wire issue.
an interesting point that i didn't mention was that when i checked voltage at the injector harness without the pc3 installed i got 11.7 volts, and with the pc3 installed it was less than 2 volts, and that was why I suspected i had a bad pc3. I asked PW tech about that and they said that was normal, which doesn't make any sense to me. Why would there be a difference? I haven't checked the voltage on the pc5 but I will do that.
thanx guys

i have two ecu's. an 04 and an 05. both act the same. the o4 has been flashed a few times but not the 05.

solved. i cleaned the ground strap at the starter bolt, found 7 bad wires lying on top of the transmission case ( 2 broken), a bad 4 wire connection for the injectors, another broken connector with the inside wires contacting each other on top of the trans case, and a poor injector ground loom that comes off the battery neg. side. I also added another heavy ground wire from the battery to the thermostat housing. now i have 14 volts at the injectors. commander works fine and i can make adjustments. problem now is my instrment cluster is dead. it used to be that only the temp guage didn't work ( it would swing ), but now i have nothing, although the lights on the cluster work. flying blind now.

Back