Powder coating

S-R Racing

Registered
Can anybody tell me the heat limits of powder coating, I know how it's applied, how it's done etc. I never heard what the heat range of a finished product is? Can this be changed by application method or mix blend? Thanks for any help on this
flamethrowingsmiley.gif

AAAssjani.gif

(S-R Racing @ Sep. 27 2007,19:30) Can anybody tell me the heat limits of powder coating, I know how it's applied, how it's done etc. I never heard what the heat range of a finished product is? Can this be changed by application method or mix blend? Thanks for any help on this
flamethrowingsmiley.gif

AAAssjani.gif
400~450 F. I am not aware of any way to bake at a lower temp than that?

Thanks for the reply,to be more direct how much heat can a finished part withstand. I would like to try it on a set of oem exhaust cans

Cans will not get hot enough to effect powder coating.

The heat resistance depends on the application most go into the high thousands.

if you need it they make High temp Powder Coating also normal Powder coat heat range is about 1000 degrees.

For baking though temp is 400-450 degrees.

More,better,good news!lol Ihad to buy some mid-pipes that came with almost new cans with light scratches. Looks like a good way to fixem' without a bunch of polishing or just tossing them in the corner or trash. Local powder guy is new, but good & cheap still too.Has anybody seen this done before?

(S-R Racing @ Sep. 28 2007,00:24) More,better,good news!lol Ihad to buy some mid-pipes that came with almost new cans with light scratches. Looks like a good way to fixem' without a bunch of polishing or just tossing them in the corner or trash. Local powder guy is new, but good & cheap still too.Has anybody seen this done before?
Seen cans powder coated? yes many times.

I have also seen them painted with high temp paint.

Busawhipped has his done.

If I were going to Powder coat a set of cans I would go with a high temp Powder just because your cans are going to be hot. Also you can do what heavy said and Paint them with some High Temp Grill paint or something of that nature. One of the Texas Hayabusa Riders did the same thing and his cans looked pretty good.

I did mine with high temp bbq pit paint I had. It has held up pretty well and comes very close to matching the frame. If you can do it though, powder coating is more durable, less likely to chip from road debris.

Back