Powder Coating Aluminum Wheels

gtblades

Registered
I recently purchased a set of factory Busa rims for a cheap price off of Ebay. I would like to have them powder coated but have heard a rumor that care must be taken when the rims are placed in the oven. What temperature is too high where it will alter the wheels integrity? Also curious if anyone knows any local businesses in the Seminole County or Orange County areas in Florida that do powder coating.

could be wrong but i think its the act of polishing the wheel welds that screws witht the integrity

I just found this website and here is one thing they said about aluminum.
"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question: "Can you tell me the effect that the powder coating process has on the heat treatment of aluminum, specifically 6061 T-6"

Powder Coating Consultants: "To our knowledge powder coating has absolutely no effect on heat treated aluminum. The cure temperatures are usually under 400 degrees F (typically 325 to 375 degrees F) and should not anneal the 6061 T-6 material.

Furthermore, exposure time at these temperatures is 10 to 25 minutes. The higher the temperature the lower the exposure time to cure the power coating.""

http://www.powdercoat.com/

I don't know about Seminole or Orange counties, but there is suppoosed to be a good shop here in Port Orange (Daytona area). I "plan" on having my wheels done this winter.

I think the name of the shop is PowderKote Plus. I'm at work, so I will check in the morning when I get home. Everybody I ask in the area says take them there.

Jay

Thanks for the info jwcfd.

Thanks Jay, that would be great if you could get me the contact info.

Gregg

Powdercoating will not effect the strength of the aluminum....and if you are looking for shops...just do a search on the internet....it will give you links to the closest shops to you, and other shops around the county....I've seen prices from $70-120 per wheel....if you want some extra shine too, get the shops to shoot some clear coat on top....

Back