poss new owner

barjp

Registered
Can you lot help me decide what to do please?
I currently own a nice TLR with all mod cons. But I would like to go two up touring in summer and was wondering what the busa is like for puttin on givi panniers, long distance comfort two up, miles till numb bum, do they cramp yer legs etctetc
i used to own a ZZR1100 which got us both to southern france all loaded up no probs.
Any advice greatly appreciated
thanks

Me personally, the Busa isn't a long-distance bike. I'm 43 and that probably plays into it somewhat. Riders complain about the long ride too. Young ones as well as older ones. If all I wanted to do was tour long distances I'd probably get an Old Wing.... Did I say that? I mean a Gold Wing.
biggrin.gif

I like the Busa for its looks, power, head-turn ability, speed, adrenilen (sp?), and bragging rights. Beyond that, to each his own. Enjoy!

I have put several 500 mile days on my Busa. I have only had a few problems and have done a minimum of modifications. Actually the best mod for long distance was a wrist rest/throttle rocker. This is a piece of plastic that costs about $10. It wraps around the throttle (just the outside edge) and you can hold the throttle open to cruise with a lot less effort. I actually stopped all neck and upper body pain after I got it. I have the stock seats, I think they're just fine. (but I don't do 2 up). The next problem I had was my knees bothering me. I got the LP-USA superpole pegs and installed them in the farthest down/back possible. Just got 'em done recently and haven't ridden with them, so jury is still out, but I think they will help/eliminate my knee problem. Finally, I added Krauser racks and K5 luggage. They are great and hold a ton. Check out riderhaus.com for your options and ask them questions. They are great people.

I personally think the Busa is a great sport-touring bike. Ther are a lot of other things to do to it to improve the comfort - from Corbin seats w/ backrest to bar risers/heli-bars and even superbike tubular bar conversions. A custom made seat can be made for real long distance comfort from Rick Meyers or the other touring seat people. Over-all, If you have a 2001 or later Busa, I think you have an excellent Long Distance machine! (1999-2000 models have a weaker subframe of aluminum and are not, in my opinion, suited for the weight of a passenger and luggage)

Any questions, e-mail or pm me.

Gar

Get the Corbin seaat with the large oval back rest! <Its not really that large> My Riders say its worth twice the asking price!!!

Ican ride all day on my Busa 2+ tanks <230 a tank>

fireskull.gif

I'm an older rider, 44, and I think the 'busa is a great sport-touring platform. Even the stock seat is wide and pretty comfortable. The only thing for me that could be improved on would be to get the adjustable foot pegs to give you some more legroom. Definitely recommend the LP footpegs. There's also a thread in the main board that discusses all of the possible modifications you can do to make the 'busa a better sport-tourer. Also, learn to ride the bike in such a way that you support your upper body with your abdominals and back muscles, do not put all your weight on your hands. This will make your hands, wrists, elbows, etc. ache. You can also use a tank bag to lay on and that will prevent you from supporting your upper body with your hands.

Im on k3 with a double bubble winsheid ,wen a go for a long long ride i put on my double tank bag ...look yaki but is very pleasend to rest my chest on it ,my uper body stay very comfortable ....but dont fall a sleep !!!! handle bar raiser shoud be best .... im From quebec im planning a BC trip...long long road ahead and if a can cross the boarder i come bac by the dessert ....i leaving montréal the 10 june......

First off:

Second:  I think the 'busa is great for longer trips (have gone 200+ miles in one run and was fine).  It is nice for two-up also (according to my wifey).  I used to own a Kawa Concours sport/tour bike and find the bus is close comfort-wise...  Dunno about add-on baggage yet.

I hope I don't think that I am old at 44!!! I am still immature at 42 and can't imagine catching up in the next 2 years.

Think Throttlemiester! Its out of the way until you need to give your wrists a break. Not cheap but worth every penny.

I have done back-to-back 400 mile days and survived nicely. A tank bag cuts wind and is nice to rest on. Also riding with the balls of yor feet on the pegs raises your knees up and cause you to sit more upright. That takes the weight off your wrists for a while.

Actually the best mod for long distance was a wrist rest/throttle rocker. This is a piece of plastic that costs about $10. It wraps around the throttle (just the outside edge) and you can hold the throttle open to cruise with a lot less effort. I actually stopped all neck and upper body pain after I got it.[/QUOTE]
REALLY interested in this: what is it, how does it work, is it safe, is it legal and where do I get it?
Thx for the info in advance ...

Back