Pos r1

moloko

Banned
My '04 R1 lasted about a month after I bought it, didn't even get around to paying the Taxes and it decided to burn out it's charging system. I did some reading on R1 sites and it seems a few others have had the same problem and ended up replacing the rectifier along with the stator and generator rotor. These parts, even with a bit of a discount come to about 1k.

So, to get my bike on the road and legal, it's gonna be like 1700 bucks.

I'm so (*&%#$! &*%%$# off about buying this pile.. GRRRRRRRRR

So, should I part it out? The rest of the bike is in pretty decent shape, the fairings are a bit scuffed up... It's hard to tell if it's been dropped from a stand still (which I'm thinking it was on one side) or if it was from the previous owner failing at installing the cage without scratching the crap out of it. Who knows... It's certainly the dirtiest bike I'd ever seen when I got it, I should have just left it there to rot. Is it worth the effort to pull the thing apart and sell off what's left or it? Should I bite the bullet and fix it? Fixing it is gonna be a long effing time out cuz I'm broke right now.

I dunno wtf to do with it. I'm pissed, and sick of not having a bike to ride. I'm tempted to just go open the door to my garage, and kick it over off the stands and watch it slide down my 45 degree angle drive way and smash it with the sledge hammer when it gets to the bottom.

I hope I get my Busa back next week as planned... but what's the fun when I killed my girlfriends bike and we can't go ride together now???

What exactly do you need to get it back on the road?

Rectifier/Regulator, Stator, Generator/Magneto

3 different parts, some reason 2 of the parts seem to have 2 different names depending on who you ask.

Looking like new OEM stuff is 911.00+Tax the lowest of 2 places I've looked into.

I'm gonna dig around and see if I can find some used stuff, but with the used stuff... how long is it gonna last before it does the same thing? lol a guy I know who is a big yamaha guy, R1 street bike, and races an R6 strongly advised me against buying used stuff for that reason. (he is in no way affiliated with parts vendors either)

Then I needa pay the taxes on it, which I actually have the money for, but I'm not gonna bother if the bike is gonna sit. lol

If I hadn't blown my 'wad' on the busa the past 6 months I'd just throw some money at the problem and it would work itself out. Money tree has gone bare!!!! I may just have to accept the fact this thing is just gonna take up space in my garage for a while.

I loved my r1 when I had it. I have never had any problems with any Yamaha I have owned. If it was mine I would fix it. I hope you get it it sorted out.

If your gonna have the Busa back to ride next week, Id fix up the R1 as money allows. So long as you can ride the Busa, your not losing anything by doin it that way. Its frustrating not bein able to ride your newest toy, but thats better than losing money on it...

Playing the used parts lottery. I found a parts bike with everything I need except the gasket for 200 bucks. WOOOHOOOO!

or you could save the 200 and pm me your address and i'll have it removed for free... jus sayin...:laugh:

if that is your girls bike you better fix it. If I could get my wife to ride her own bike I money would be no object.....unless I ran out of it.:whistle:

i'd try to fix it! sorry it took a crap on ya. and so soon too. :down:

im gonna :poke: and say "ya shoulda kept the soft tail." :hide:

Keep the R1! Strong fun bike! Just get the parts you need from the good people that are on this site that sell things! They'll hook you up no problem!

I got it all back together. Runs great again! Hopefully the parts hold up.

Since I got the Busa back my GF has been riding the R1 and I've been on the Busa. Fun fun fun!

I really do like how small and agile he R1 is though, that thing is a blast to drive. And man does it SCREAM! But the way the exhaust is set up it gets really hot, burns my arse!!

I hurt my arm really bad, so I still haven't made it to the track with it. :banghead:

Back