Poor Staten Island bikers

It like the gun thing right. Guns don't kill people, People do. Well its the same thing on the bike. Just because you have the power does not mean you have to try to use all the power you have. Respect the power you have and live to see another day.

looks like a lot of older riders and cars turning in front of them.. sad they make it sound like the bikes fault when it was likely the cars fault..

It sucks for sure,

But I know some of the things I do that bring me so much enjoyment have a danger.

My grandpa always said

"You gotte be careful, you could step off the curb and get hit by a beer truck."

man it sux but gotta say after looking at the pix and reading the story, seems like these guys deaths were preventable. One guy hit a parked car, another slid into a row of them and was tossed...his $10 bean cap laying on the pavement...another the bike was destroyed when hit by a left turning car, another hit by a 79yo unlicensed driver. Just saying while unfortunate they paid the ultimate price, some of this stuff probably could have been prevented.

This line kinda urks me

"We're seeing people driving past the capability of the bike, or inexperienced and making dangerous maneuvers."

Its really not riding past the capability of the bike, most people that throw a leg over one of these "sport bikes" never even comes CLOSE to hitting the capabilities. I think the inexperience and piss poor choices are illustrated by the story.

and IKE when are you going to drag your anus out to the east end of the big island :whistle:

Don't be that nut!

"Posted by tommartin on 09/03/09 at 8:19AM
it is not the bike it is the rider, 30MPH means 30MPH. it is like the old joke. What is most dangerous part in a car or in this case a motorcycle?--- The nut behind the wheel or this case handlebars"

Yellow Journalism?

Quote:
Yellow journalism is a type of journalism that downplays legitimate news in favor of eye-catching headlines that sell more newspapers. It may feature exaggerations of news events, scandal-mongering, sensationalism, or unprofessional practices by news media organizations or journalists.
Unquote:

Quote from article:
"Four of the six serious crashes here this summer involved the motorcycle colliding with a car. In two instances, a driver made a left turn into the path of an approaching motorcyclist, while in a third, a livery cab pulled out from a side street while a motorcyclist was approaching. In the fourth, the motorcyclist collided with a car that stopped short in front of him to turn into a driveway.

The other two crashes involved no other drivers -- in one, the motorcyclist lost control after trying to pop a wheelie, and in the other, an experienced Harley driver lost control of his bike in the rain and hit several parked cars."
Unquote:

If i read correctly;

Six people died total:

2 died from CARS making left turn in front of motorcycle with Right of Way

(Both Car drivers must have been frightened by the HIGH OCTANE gas in the Super Bikes and decided to disregard the oncoming vehicles Right Of Way)

1 died from CAR/cab pulling out in front of motorcyclist with Right of Way

(Once again your Honor it was the Motorcyclist fault due to the High Octane Gas fumes causing me to pull into oncoming vehicles Right of Way without so much as a glance to insure lane was clear with no oncoming traffic.)

1 died from a CAR that stopped short in front of motorcyclist

(Yes I saw the High Octane Super Bike in my rearview mirror and slammed on my brakes in front of him to make right turn into driveway without any signal. I'm sure he could of stopped if he hadn't been using High Octane fuel and riding a Super Bike)

1 wasn't even on a sport bike but a Harley that lost traction on a wet rain soaked street

(Never mind that this wasn't even a Sport bike! I'm sure he was using High Octane fuel and therefore should be lumped in with the High Octane reckless Super Bike Killers!)

1 was due to reckless driving or trying to pop a wheelie

One (1) of the six was reckless and yet headline screams:

"High-octane bikes plus reckless riders equal tragedy"

INFERRING: OMG THE HIGH OCTANE SUPER BIKES WITH RECKLESS RIDERS ARE SLAUGHTERING INNOCENTS!

How about Instead headline reads:

HIGH CAFFEINED, CAR DRIVING, CELL PHONE SUPPOSITORIED, SUPER TEXTERS, KILLING INNOCENT LAW ABIDING MOTORCYCLISTS WITH RIGHT OF WAY WITHOUT CONSEQUENCES!

I'm just wondering if the journalist who wrote this article could give me a breakdown of Motor Vehicles deaths due to negligent drivers on cell phones, texting, or reading while piloting a 4000lb vehicle at 70 mph?

On second thought I'll just hop on the 405 and watch the herd of vehicles slowly drifting from one lane to the next while talking on the cell phone, texting, or reading. Yes reading! All the while ocassionally glancing up at the road to see if they have arrived at their destination yet.

Yes I know there are chukle heads riding fast sport bikes recklessly. More often then not they hurt themselves and not others and it is a tragedy.

I would just like to see a balanced approach rather than headlines inferring HIGH OCTANE SUPER BIKES KILLING INNOCENTS. when according to the article only 1 bike was actually riding reckless.

Last edited:
Back