Polishing

IL_BusaBoy

Donating Member
Registered
While at the Chicago motorcycle show this weekend I met a vendor near my hometown that had polished some of the Busa's there and I had asked him a price for polishing the wheels, he said around $800. He then proceeded to tell me that they would do the entire bike for $2500. Is this a decent price, or way too high? Not really sure, but does sound very enticing to me for next winter's project.

Sorry, had a brain fart. I mean to say chromed, not polished. Yeah, $2500 for polishing would've been way too high, and if I would've done that I would've kicked my own arse.

You can get wheels chromed (triple plate) for about $500 at most places, so still high. Don't know what it would cost to do the entire bike though.

2500 hundred sounds bought right.. They have to take it apart remove the engine and crap then reassemble. It may be cheaper if you take the engine apart yourself but i dont trust my skills. I polished my bike cost me bout 30 bucks in supplies and some time.
smile.gif

I'm still debating about polishing. I did my stock cans last summer. Kicking around hitting the frame once the weather straightens out. See if my fingers are up to the challenge. Also will probably spend more money on beer then supplies by the time it is done:D

That is to high.  Ck out www.sprotchrome.com I heard that they do really nice work.  I got mine all triple dipped for about 1400-1500 (shipped), that is everything except for the frame. I got the rims, extended swingarm, rearsets, gas cap, mirror blockoffs, exhaust bracket, triple tree cover, all right/left side engine covers, counter sprocket cover, rear sprocket, brake torque arm. I think that is all that I got.

<!--EDIT|Rich
Reason for Edit: None given...|1108488929 -->

Did you have to take the engine out the frame yourself? And Bill if you grab a sanding pad that and a high powered drill polishing the frame should be easy. I did my frame and rear wheel, im working on the front now and my dremel is cutting days off the amount of work

Did you have to take the engine out the frame yourself?  And Bill if you grab a sanding pad that and a high powered drill polishing the frame should be easy.  I did my frame and rear wheel, im working on the front now and my dremel is cutting days off the amount of work
I'm thinking bout trying to line up an air compressor with a right angle grinder with buffing pads. We use them at work on aluminum molds and it makes them look like mirrors. I already have a dremel.

I'm still debating about polishing. I did my stock cans last summer. Kicking around hitting the frame once the weather straightens out. See if my fingers are up to the challenge. Also will probably spend more money on beer then supplies by the time it is done:D
better not have you're bike apart too much... I plan on riding up you're way more this summer bill.... greg wants to also.

I'm still debating about polishing.  I did my stock cans last summer.  Kicking around hitting the frame once the weather straightens out.  See if my fingers are up to the challenge.  Also will probably spend more money on beer then supplies by the time it is done:D
better not have you're bike apart too much... I plan on riding up you're way more this summer bill....  greg wants to also.
I'll be ready whenever you guys are!

That is to high.  Ck out www.sprotchrome.com I heard that they do really nice work.  I got mine all triple dipped for about 1400-1500 (shipped), that is everything except for the frame, rims, extended swingarm, rearsets, gas cap, mirror blockoffs, exhaust bracket, triple tree cover, all right/left side engine covers, counter sprocket cover, rear sprocket, brake torque arm. I think that is all that I got.
Just so you will know all chrome is triple plated ... first copper then nickle then chrome .. Chrome is clear and lets the nickle show .... If you where to put more than one clear of chrome it will in a short time crack .....Lee..

Back