Polishing the stock Rims

drewwerd13

Registered
Is it really possible to get rid of that dull black color on the stock Hayabusa rims and polish them to look shiny and new?? If so, how much work is involved and how much would it cost for all the supplies??

Did my rims and cans using different grades of wet and dry paper finishing off with 1200 grade then plenty of solvol polish.
hard work but very rewarding..some of the guys use nitromor's on rims to remove paint and then plenty of polishing which sounds a good idea..

Ride fast and safe..........barrybusa
wink.gif

It's a pain in the butt. Took me days to do mine. If any one is interested I'll take 100$ + shipping and your wheels for mine. I'm going to paint or have them powder coated to match my bike.

madalyn_148.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I recommend chroming them. They are alot easier to maintain, but in most cases it'll cost you around $600 exchange.

Yes it was hard work but nothing beats the smile you get when you see "bling bling"
afro.gif

DSCN3162.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
You can sand off the paint, but I used Aircraft paint remover ( you can pick up from your local auto parts store) once applied wait around 15 minutes and with a plastic scraper, remove. It may take several application, but a heck of alot easier. I then used a buffing wheel attached to a drill motor and blue magic metal polish. It wasnt that bad. Just let the chemicals and tools do all the work. Just make sure to not get any stripper on your tire, and wash off if you do.

I just took mine in to have only the lips polished, as I wanna paint the bike and the spokes to match.
Cost me $120 CDN and they look killer.

Is it really possible to get rid of that dull black color on the stock Hayabusa rims and polish them to look shiny and new??  If so, how much work is involved and how much would it cost for all the supplies??
Jonathan Reed at SportChrome chromes wheels for $450 a set. He pays return shipping. Can't beat his quality.

Brian

Is it really possible to get rid of that dull black color on the stock Hayabusa rims and polish them to look shiny and new??  If so, how much work is involved and how much would it cost for all the supplies??
I think you have to look at your situation using the principle of "Opportunity Cost." Cost of all supplies needed + your time versus $450 (plus s/h) + bike downtime. To me it was pretty simple. I'd much rather chrome in the sense that the upkeep is so much simpler in the long term...plus there is none of my time involved. Only time involved was the few weeks it takes to ship, chrome, and return (bike downtime). Over time, you will have to continuously polish the rims that you polish, which involves more work and more time in the long term. I also applied this same principle to the swingarm. I had my swingarm chromed also for the same reasons. If most people are like me; I am pretty anal about a clean bike. Just my .02, but it is sometime worth a million bucks.

Brian

Back