Polishing Stock Rims?

OB_13Reasons

Registered
Has anyone polished the stock rims? I have many with them chromed which are beautiful but what about polishing is it too difficult?

if you send them out send them to SIHILLING METAL POLISHING this guy can polish phone #714-543-7051 ask for charles he has polished my last 3 bikes they will glow like a diamond

I polished my own rims, took about 6 hours. Removed tires, paint remover spray suitable for alum., taped off centre paint area. Sand polished area to be with various grades of paper up to 800 or 1000 grit. Buff with two compounds, the white rouge and the tripoli for the first rough polish, finish with the white rouge. Sanding takes the longest.Looks awesome and retains the shine.

Gixx1300r did a huge post on this somewhere, a complete howto, don't remember what site it was on, tho---search for posts by him, might get lucky.

Kurt

Thats what I love about this site! There are so many knowledgeable people who are always willing to help. Thanks guys I think Im going to try and polish my own and if it does'nt work out I'll have them, dipped.

Anguish, when you apply the rouge is there a certain compound on the buffing pad and do you apply the rouge to the pad or on the rim itself? I know I sound dumb asking but I dont want to make any mistakes.

The post was on LABusas but it is no longer there.The site was having a problem and hundreds of threads were lost.

You apply the compound to the buffing wheel as it is rotating, not too much. Put the compound on sparingly especially the tripoli as it tends to leave a hard to remove slick on the rim. I used a safety solvent spray to remove the tripoli . We had this in stock at the brewery where I am employed, in fact I did the polishing there on overtime, felt like I got a bonus. Left all the mess there.

Anguish you are my hero! I wish I could polish my bike and get overtime! As a matter of fact I wish I could get paid overtime. Its cloudy here so I guess the polisking will began.

Back