Polishing the frame?

WiLL_FLY

Registered
Ok, lots of elbow grease and what else? I was looking for my next winter project. It gets cold here in Kc, mo so while I have the down time I was wondering how to polish the frame. I would use mothers but I don't think that would cut it. Do I need a disc sander and pads or what? Should I use any curtain compound work better than the other? Should I use a buffer on them to get the frame and swing arm really shiny? Any input would be great. I wouldn't mind going with the covers but I get bored easily and need to do something lol.

Copy_of_IMG_1550.JPG

search for post by rhythm, he is a master of bling, i think theres a how to somewhere on the board.

Get a die grinder and alot of med. scotch-bright pads, 1000, 1500, 2000 grit wet-sand paper to really maker' shine. I'll post some pics later tonite, my friend just finished his frame.

Do your grab rail first! Can always repaint it. That will give you an idea on how the frame is gonna be. Keep in mine after you finish the grab rail and look at your frame,the part that is all rough! Work on getting that smooth is a lot of "elbow grease". Polished stuff does take more upkeep.

Once you start, you're in for the long haul cause there's no half-assing it. Trust me...either pay someone or chrome it.

Never half ass anything lol if you want it to look good then it takes the effert. Like I said I have a whole winter coming up in about 5 months. And it stays cold for a while. granded there are a few nice riding days here and there, but I will just have to suck it up. And thanks everybody that responded. If I mess it up I guess I will have to go with the:cool: chroming lol

It takes a long time to get it perfect. The only problem with polishing is you have to constantly stay up on it or it will oxidize and not look all that great. If you have the money and the time take the bike apart and have the frame and swingarm chromed. I won't polish anymore because of the aftercare maintenance.

Well to have it chromed pretty much means dismantling you bike down to the frame. A lot of work. plus still would end up trying to smooth out the one part of frame. I plan on going with CF covers and polish the area that doesn't get covered with the CF. Price is a little steep for them though. They do make some nice Chrome covers also that look nice.

Just throwing options at yer.

It all depends, if you break the bike down and get it ready it will be substantially cheaper. The cheapest way would be get chrome frame covers and them get a chrome swingarm.

Back