Polished but not perfect

thduke1

Registered
Hey guys, I polished my frame today and it's just not perfect. I went all the way up to 2000 grit. There is no scratches on it but it has a dull look to it. I used blue magic and mothers polish on it after sanding it. To all of you polishing experts..... What should I do? Should I try 2500 and 3000 grit then polish it again or just try a high speed buffer? Or..... Some super secret highly classified silver X I could tell you but then I would have to kill you sort of thing? Thanks for any and all help

I have done mine with mothers and works for me, if it doesn't polish right away put some more and try again, you might have to really go at it(Muscle force) :laugh:

Just didn't want to bend my frame with all my awesome muscle force :laugh: but I will try that. I have polished it 4 times but with not much force.

The practice is good for you, because once you get it where you want it, you'll be polishing it all the time to keep it looking that good.:laugh:
Ask me how I know.:laugh: Looks great, pain in the...to keep looking great

I've been wanting to do this about how long did it take you to get it done... And where's the pics at :rulez:

I've been wanting to do this about how long did it take you to get it done... And where's the pics at :rulez:

There is Alot of time and hard work involved. I've done them, personally I'de go chrome. Chrome frame covers, and stock length swingarms are a dime a dozen because of stretched bikes, buy one cheap and get it chromed and you're done. You just clean chrome too, you're not always repolishing to keep the shine and remove the cloudiness like when you polish.
If you really want to, you need to find some youtube videos and do some research. Once you start, you're committed to finish, or ride an awful looking bike.:laugh:

It took around 10 hours or so. 5 on each side. And I only have an iPad. No way to upload pics yet. Besides.... My plastics are getting painted so it's just a naked frame. It looks pretty good, I'm just a perfectionist so I need to get the dullness out. I wonder if I need to use mothers with a buffer instead of by hand.

It took me around 2 months one time on winter, did lil by lil, I just couldn't just sit and go at it for a long time, its lot of work and I get mad easy, parts would be flying around :laugh:

It took around 10 hours or so. 5 on each side. And I only have an iPad. No way to upload pics yet. Besides.... My plastics are getting painted so it's just a naked frame. It looks pretty good, I'm just a perfectionist so I need to get the dullness out. I wonder if I need to use mothers with a buffer instead of by hand.

I can't say that you don't need to go to an even finer grit without seeing it, but a buffer makes it So Much Easier. Zoops works good too.

I usually start with some 3m liquid buffing compound, followed with 3m finesse, and then some sort of aluminum polish. Flitz seems to work pretty well for me

I did mine by hand, but you can always try the buffer if its not working for you.

Then I could make the ugliest busa thread :laugh:

:rofl: :rofl:Looks like you have a black frame from your avatar too. Stripping the paint itself can be a headache(along the welds and tight inside bends are usually the worst)... before you even get to the polishing.

I am the type of person that when I start something I have to finish it. I am going to try a buffer tomorrow. Just gotta find one. Where can I find zoops, or the 3m compounds? I just went out and poured a lil of my hulkish elbow grease on it and the spots I did turned out purty good. I am just glad I don't have to sand anymore lol. I sanded so much I smoothed my finger tips off and even started to bleed ha ha

I am the type of person that when I start something I have to finish it. I am going to try a buffer tomorrow. Just gotta find one. Where can I find zoops, or the 3m compounds? I just went out and poured a lil of my hulkish elbow grease on it and the spots I did turned out purty good. I am just glad I don't have to sand anymore lol. I sanded so much I smoothed my finger tips off and even started to bleed ha ha

:laugh:Oh yeah, you gotta finish now. Any auto parts store should have Zoops or 3m stuff, even some Wal-Marts do.

Back