too polish or not too polish

Nsauble

Registered
Winter is upon us and I have some questions. Is it worth the hassle to polish or should you just by polished parts and chromed parts? I am a novice polisher, and the thought of screwing up my frame and swing arm scare me. Tearing down the bike to the bear frame to be chromed scares me even more. I am mechanically inclined carwise, but I am new to motorcycles.
biggrin.gif

Polish work isnt that hard. Not much to be scared of. It is a whole lot of work though.
Just start sanding.
wink.gif

Start out with some 150 or 180 depending on how bad the casting os on the frame and work you way up to 2000 or even better i finish mine off in 3000.
I go 150,320,400wet,600wet,800wet,1200wet,1500wet,2000wet,3000wet. Then whole lot of mothers aluminum compound.
I have been doing it for many years now and mostly use Air sanders and polishing tools, but i still find the best shine comes by hard hand work.

Best of all if you do my steps of polish work and then still want to have it chrome, the expensive part of chroming you allready did. 75-80% of the cost in chrome work is the labor to polish the parts first

(dolilind @ Sep. 19 2007,17:41) Polish work isnt that hard. Not much to be scared of. It is a whole lot of work though.
Just start sanding.  
wink.gif

Start out with some 150 or 180 depending on how bad the casting os on the frame and work you way up to 2000 or even better i finish mine off in 3000.
I go 150,320,400wet,600wet,800wet,1200wet,1500wet,2000wet,3000wet. Then whole lot of mothers aluminum compound.
I have been doing it for many years now and mostly use Air sanders and polishing tools, but i still find the best shine comes by hard hand work.
I agree with dolilind

(edubb1971 @ Sep. 19 2007,16:38) If you are not going to take the time and keep the shine of the polish, then you might want to chrome.
You want chrome unless you just like polishing stuff. You can get it polished beautifully, and in 6 months it will be dull again.

If you have a good air compressor, 90 degree die grinder, maybe straight die grinder....$50 materials, mainly 3m scotchbrite discs. The brown are the coarse, pink takes out the brown scratches, then blue discs take out the scratches that the pink ones leave behind...on to polishing compound or rouge...there is brown...red...and last white...white will give you the mirror look you desire...haste makes waste, and it is your time that you'll be wasting if you skip steps.

*wear a mask, and put a fan behind you*

It does not take to long to do, 6-7 hrs, you can wipe the polishing compound off with alchol, if you do the wheels get them re-balanced.

Lastly if it is not rough casting...start with the blue disc.

(Nsauble @ Sep. 19 2007,08:46) Winter is upon us and I have some questions.  Is it worth the hassle to polish or should you just by polished parts and chromed parts?  I am a novice polisher, and the thought of screwing up my frame and swing arm scare me.  Tearing down the bike to the bear frame to be chromed scares me even more.  I am mechanically inclined carwise, but I am new to motorcycles.
biggrin.gif
You can do it...! It is a lot of work, but once you get he hang of it, its not that bad...

I polished my passenger assemblies, rear sets, alternator cover, frame, and swingarm.

Start with a small piece to get the hang of it. Don't go too coarse on the girt yous start with. I would say no less than a 180 or 200 grit. Anything lower than that and it becomes hard to get the deep scratches out and takes yet a lot more work...

(Paint remover is your best freind. Get a can of it from the auto store... Spray on, let it soak on the painted parts, and than it washes right off with no sanding needed... The paint remove works much better than the oven cleaner everybody recommended that I tried the first time.
biggrin.gif
)

biggrin.gif

(Cloud9 @ Sep. 21 2007,18:13)
(Nsauble @ Sep. 19 2007,08:46) Winter is upon us and I have some questions.  Is it worth the hassle to polish or should you just by polished parts and chromed parts?  I am a novice polisher, and the thought of screwing up my frame and swing arm scare me.  Tearing down the bike to the bear frame to be chromed scares me even more.  I am mechanically inclined carwise, but I am new to motorcycles.
biggrin.gif
You can do it...! It is a lot of work, but once you get he hang of it, its not that bad...

I polished my passenger assemblies, rear sets, alternator cover, frame, and swingarm.

Start with a small piece to get the hang of it. Don't go too coarse on the girt yous start with. I would say no less than a 180 or 200 grit. Anything lower than that and it becomes hard to get the deep scratches out and takes yet a lot more work...

(Paint remover is your best freind. Get a can of it from the auto store... Spray on, let it soak on the painted parts, and than it washes right off with no sanding needed...  The paint remove works much better than the oven cleaner everybody recommended that I tried the first time.
biggrin.gif
)
+2

I wouldn't use anything less than 180 grit, hell I would start with a 200 or 320 grit, then after with wet sanding up to 1500.

biggrin.gif

(dolilind @ Sep. 22 2007,05:55) Let me make a little correction on when to use 150 and 180.   ONLY on the cast part of the frame.
Thats sound better or better yet to get done faster I use a brown wood strip wheel I purchase from lowes attached to a hand drill. This technique really smooth down the rough casting area on the mid frame area (hint hint).

Back