Polish a Roadlok Gen 1?

JPunisher

Registered
I got a roadlok (Gen 1) from the last group purchase and I was wondering if anyone has tried polishing it. If so, can anyone post pics?

Thanks,

JPunisher

hmmmm...I'd rather black mine all the way out - we need an inversion kit for each other. :laugh: I suppose it would work the same as doing a frame - lots of TLC sanding and polishing....LOTS of polishing. It's gonna be a challenge getting in the grooves. A dremel tool with polishing tips would probably be the way to go. You might want to check with Chief before doing any of this though, you could void the warranty by altering the finish of the Roadlok. ???

Last edited:
i think id sent it out for chrome.. polishing may not prove to be worth all the hours and hours of time and material...i wouldnt see how it could void the warranty as it is purely finish and not function

Right - the warranty wouldn't be an issue, and like stated above, the time involved may not be worth the hassle. I have one left over chrome plated in stock that is really nice. Call me if you would rather have that and we can discuss a reasonable upgrade!

Chief X

I really appreciate the offer but I really don't like the bumps on the lock (orange skin effect). I was planning on trying to smoothen it out. If I mess it up I can always wait for the next group buy. I am not too worried. It will also give me something to do in this crappy weather:laugh:. I was just trying to find out if anyone has tried it before me and how it looked. I do think that it is great that the Chief is willing to work with us:beerchug:. It is very rare to see that type of customer care. Thanks again. If I do attempt this feat, I will be sure to post pictures.

JPunisher

The black plug that is included...is it needed when not in use, to keep the weather out?

I've powdered a couple of them, omar has a great pic, but they do have that "orange peel" look

The black plug (which we affectionately refer to as the "dress plug") is simply for aesthetics. It does in fact keep dirt out of the bore, but it was simply added to make the RoadLoK look more appealing.

Here you go - pretty dirty from a ride the other day. I polished the face & left the back & sides black. I used paint stripper & some elbow grease.

roadlok.jpg

Back