Plug Fouling

6gear

Registered
I have a 2000 Busa that fouled (I think) a spark plug about 600 miles ago I put new plugs in and it done it again yesterday. The first time it did it I had about 31,000 miles on the motorcycle and about 15,000 on the plugs so I thought it was just time. But I have only gone about 600 miles and now again. I pulled the plugs last night and they are all somewhat sooty. It looks to be running rich. I have a power commander, header, air box mod, BMC air filter and pare valve mod but these have been in play for 15,000 miles. What do I need to look for? could my power commander have taken a crap?

Could I possibly have a coil going bad? When I loose a cylinder its during a cold start, most of the time I will pick the cylinder back up after a few miles. I have never had it go out while riding.

I would try some seafoam or other magic potion fuel system cleaner for a tank or so! It can work wonders sometimes! Sounds like the fuel isn't atomizin rite. Has it lost some of its grunt or just not idling like it should? Did the older bikes have an enrichment system? How could the cold start make it drop a cylinder? The carbed bikes of late used an enrichner that would foul or kill plugs dead if you forgot and left it on! Busa just bumps the throttle rack!
all_coholic.gif

You're getting great mileage out of those plugs. I'll have to look, but I think you're suppose to replace every 7500 miles
SHOCKED.gif

Have you done a T.B. sync
rock.gif
Simple and cheap if you can do it your self! Will make a huge diff if they are out.
AOL.com Images Not Available

Those over priced denso's better last more than that or I'm goin to the walmart champo's!
all_coholic.gif
They work! No BS gets the kernal into the fuel swirl/stream and will run hotter than the denso's.

The TB's do seem to be out of sync. It doesn't want to run smooth at a slow steady speed. I use to sync my carbed bikes but haven't done one of these. Is it done the same way?

And to the other fella these plugs only have about 400 miles on them so that is not great mileage. I may need to disconnect my power commander and see if that makes a difference also.

(8Daytona8 @ Jul. 18 2007,09:flamethrowing:) Those over priced denso's better last more than that or I'm goin to the walmart champo's!
all_coholic.gif
They work! No BS gets the kernal into the fuel swirl/stream and will run hotter than the denso's.
Hotter meaning colder in some terms. The plug disapates less heat there for tip is hotter!
lurk.gif

(6gear @ Jul. 18 2007,09:36) The TB's do seem to be out of sync. It doesn't want to run smooth at a slow steady speed. I use to sync my carbed bikes but haven't done one of these. Is it done the same way?

And to the other fella these plugs only have about 400 miles on them so that is not great mileage. I may need to disconnect my power commander and see if that makes a difference also.
Same way only way easier! Tank hinges so no messin with fuel, run a fan so you have time to do it! and throw that carb tune OUT and use the fish tank tube its much closer
crazy.gif
lurk.gif
Just funnin
beerchug.gif
Works for me. Try it after you get it idling ok! warm and set the bump up (cold start to 2k) It won't idle smooth but works. After the air box is back on the idle is smooth..
all_coholic.gif

Also bike hasn't lost any grunt and I have ran several bottles of injector cleaner through it over the past 1000 miles

Do a search on tb sync if you want all the info one could want and then some! The master of instruction Jinkster did a post on it which is great.
beerchug.gif
To the Jinx man! I hope he hasn't gone postal from late probs.
all_coholic.gif

You may have a plan there on the unplug P Comm! But with your mods remember you may run lean!
beerchug.gif

You wrote:

31,000 miles on the motorcycle and about 15,000 on the plugs so I thought it was just time.

Just letting you know 7500 on plugs. And yes, the Busa runs a little rich. My plugs looked rough when I pulled them at 12K.

This will happen also if you forget to plug the line on the throttle bodies back into the boost sensor as seen in post above..I have fixed this several times for guys.

(GoldenChild @ Jul. 18 2007,08:02) This will happen also if you forget to plug the line on the throttle bodies back into the boost sensor as seen in post above..I have fixed this several times for guys.
Is the boost sensor in the picture above with the red and green wire?

Golden what a guy! Givin all his trade secrets away 4 free! What great folks are found on the org! U are @ the rite place
beerchug.gif

Back