Fouled Plugs & rich running

woodlandtechie

Registered
Firstly, apologies for the crappy picture, it's from my phone....

Having done a little maintenance in the last few weeks, on my stock Gen 1. I've cleaned my fuel pump, screens, air filter, new IAP sensor (correct part no.), throttle body balance & fresh fuel...the bike just wasnt running well, smelled very rich and was only giving 8 miles per litre on the motorway when I normally get around 10.

So new plugs and re-balance was in order I felt....the plugs came out as were pretty sooty...

Anyone with more experience than myself any ideas whats causing this?

plugs.jpg

I've only had the bike for few a months, before that it belonged to my Brother who is not the most technically minded, so the maintenance done by myself is possibly long overdue...

The bike is completey stock at the moment, it did have Viper cans, PCII with an unknown map, bodged TRE & some kind of cheap Ebay fuel chip soldered into the wiring....someones done the small airbox mod also...I'll run the bike for a few weeks and check the plugs again I think...

I've only had the bike for few a months, before that it belonged to my Brother who is not the most technically minded, so the maintenance done by myself is possibly long overdue...

The bike is completey stock at the moment, it did have Viper cans, PCII with an unknown map, bodged TRE & some kind of cheap Ebay fuel chip soldered into the wiring....someones done the small airbox mod also...I'll run the bike for a few weeks and check the plugs again I think...

Well, since it had all of that it would seem like the fuel map was also on the rich side. As long as it runs fine stock now, the plugs should look good when you re check them.

Do I see two plugs black and two plugs brown ? Fresh plugs. Still doing it, check connections and coil packs, etc. Still doing it stuck injectors :dunno:, ECU issue.

I agree, there are 2 that look worse than the others. It may may clear up with new plugs and putting the fuel back to stock map.

It may may clear up with new plugs and putting the fuel back to stock map

I agree, thats exactly what I've done...the bike has a PCII so I loaded the zero map then the stock map just to be sure.

I rode into work this morning, I still think it's runing rich as fuel econ has not changed it still runs around 8 litres per mile when it should be closer to 10.....time will tell I suppose....

Has anyone tried the PCII leaning out function with any success?

Unhook the PC. If you are running zero map than there is no reason for it anyway and it may be malfunctioning.

Second, i may be stating the obvious but you haven't said....Did you change the air filter?

What are the chances that the CAT is stopped up and not letting it flow enough air?

remove the home made tre, the ebay fuel thing, and remove the Power commander from the bike. problem solved!

remove the home made tre, the ebay fuel thing, and remove the Power commander from the bike. problem solved!

Doh!...I should learn to make myself clearer.....the TRE bodge and ebay fuel chip were the first things I ripped out, saw no reason for them to be there so out they came. TBH this bike is plenty fast enough for without mods so I'm in the process of putting everything back to stock.

The rich running has only started since I cleaned the screen on the fuel pump along with the other filters. The IAP had failed and the bike wouldn't run at all so I new one was fitted, bike runs, so far so good....

Checked all vacumm hoses & connections, air filter is clean and flowing freely but I noticed the small airbox mod has been done. It runs rich even on the stock ECU, I hooked up the PCII just to see if that improved matters but it didn't. I'm now left wondering if the new IAP is operating correctly, I'll hook it up tonight and test the output voltage against the manual see what results I get.

What are the chances that the CAT is stopped up and not letting it flow enough air?

Sorry to appear thick but whats the CAT? If it's a catalytic converter, thought the GEn 1's didn't have these?

From what I could see, you have two rich cylinders. Have you checked everything associated with those cylinders ?

I've checked everything but the injectors & valves. The clearances are on my list for next week when I have some time off work. As for the injectors, maybe it's time to pull them and have them pro cleaned & flow matched...

Back