Running rich, specific question.

gymrat829

Registered
Hello all. My bike is running rich so i was reading previous posts from others with the same issue, i came across this post..."It sounds like the vacuum line is either off of or is split that goes from the throttle bodies to the IAP (Intake air Pressure Sensor), when this happens, the ECM thinks that the air pressure inside the throttle bodies equals the air pressure that is outside, i.e. WOT."....I went out to my bike and sure enough there is a line that comes out of the far left side of the throttle body and connects to a black and orange plastic piece which was hanging but appeared it was supposed to be plugged into another hose, i plugged it into the hose which hung off the bottom of my airbox and connects to a gold round looking piece, i believe its the iat sensor. Im just wondering if i did it correctly because my bike still doesn't start, but im sure these hoses weren't supposed to be disconnected. There are also 3 other larger hoses which come out the bottom of the airbox almost spaced out like a baseball diamond, one at each corner, the there is a hose connection coming out the front underside of the airbox with no hose connected also, but i didn't see any lose hoses around that appeared to belong on it, any clue which this is for?

Also id like to try replacing my ecm, however my bike is a 2001 and all i can find is an ecm from a 99, does anyone know if its ok to use in my 01?

I just got finished with several issues with my '01's airbox and throttle bodies.
So, first thing is first. There are four hoses that hook directly to your airbox.
Three large hoses on the back, and the small hose that runs up the left side of the throttle bodies to the valve at the center of the underside of the air box. Your temp switch is the gold switch on the left middle of the airbox and your pressure sensor is the round valve on the left rear, which should be hooked up to the far left port on the throttle bodies.
The center big port on the airbox is for the crankcase breather hose, the one on the left is capped and the one on the right is for your pair valve. Does the bike crank?

Just re-read your post - the hose from the little black/orange thing goes to the throttle bodies (left side far left port) and the loose hose goes to the gold round valve underneath...
If you have removed the PAIR valve, the only hose connected to the big ports on the bottom rear of you airbox is the crankcase breather... it will be down in the center of all that mess under the fuel pump. Here is a link to Jinxster's throttlebody sync thread, there are some good pics of how the hoses get hooked up.

<!--EDIT|MC MUSTANG
Reason for Edit: None given...|1153755786 -->

Just re-read your post - the hose from the little black/orange thing goes to the throttle bodies (left side far left port) and the loose hose goes to the gold round valve underneath...
If you have removed the PAIR valve, the only hose connected to the big ports on the bottom rear of you airbox is the crankcase breather... it will be down in the center of all that mess under the fuel pump.  Here is a link to Jinxster's throttlebody sync thread, there are some good pics of how the hoses get hooked up.
I appriciate your trying to help me out here, Yes the bike does crank. As for the 3 large hoses along the back of the airbox, The first port in the left rear is plugged off just like jinxsters in his post on the sync, the rear middle does connect to the crancase breather and the right one (pair) was just blocked but i unblocked it and plugged it back on to the airbox. Then the gold colored round thing in the center of the airbox has a smaller hose connected to it which connects to the black and orange piece i mentioned which connects to the left side left port thorottle body, does that sounds correct? The bike ran almost like it had a missfire when i bought it, i replaced the fuel pump, injectors, plugs, coils, and cleaned the fuel system, since then it ran rich, real rich but ran, i got a TRE everything was fine rode all night, next morning i came out and it crancked but wouldn't start. This is where im at now, since ive had the bike it's never been 100% right, the fuel system parts i replaced each made it run MUCH better, i really think all this might be an ecu issue the bike was a reconstructed title maybee it has a replaced ecu from the wrong year or something? I just don't know where to look next!

Well MC, it turns out my vacumm sensor hose was never hooked up since i bought the bike it goes fromt he sensor to that little plastic piece tha holds it in place just before the port on the vacumm line but its cut short for some reason, i noticed it as it was getting dark so today ill fix that, i doubt thats why it wont start since its been like that but could that have been what was causing the bike to run rich? The hose that runs fron the left side throttle body to underside center gold thing on the airbox wasn't hooked up either. I just need to figure out now why it wont start. Let me check for a spark and a few other things and ill post what i find. Thanks guys, i really appriciate your help, im dying to go riding again.

Special thanks to mc, i used the pics from the post about the throttle body sync to compare to my hoses and there was a vacumm sensor hose that came undone, i also cleaned the plugs and replugged all the connections but im pretty certain it was that sesor, the bike finnaly runs 100% right for the first time since i bought it, thanks alot for your help, i really really appricaite it.
-Steve

Glad you got it sorted out, gymrat!!....I am currently diagnosing a really rich condition also, and thanks to this post and Jinksters' pics, I just may get it sorted out in the morning after I get home from work.

MC, you are the man! Thanks for all the info!!

Back