Plasti Dip anyone?

i can tell you from experience where you touch the tank and on the hump will rub through within a cpl of weeks of regular riding... i did mine and got annoyed and put 5 layers on when i did it so it was nice and thick

good call. i was planning on doing 5-6 coats and then another 4-5 coats of the clear hoping that will protect it

You want to do 4-5 good coats of the stuff when spraying it from a HVLP sprayer. Also after it's dried for bikes you want to use some spray wax on top of it and reapply after you ride. It'll keep it from rubbing through.

Just a FYI, anyone considering doing they're entire busa.... Get more than a gallon, I wish I had about a pint more for mine. I did it in 2 stages, first was upper, lowers and fender. 2nd was tank, tail, hump and mirrors. They 2nd set was coated pretty good, but wish I had enough for one more coat.

Plasti-Dip.jpg

thanks for that bit of information. it's been about 3 weeks now since i've placed my order and still haven't received it yet. i have a few cans of white laying around as well that should come in handy if the gallon isn't enough.

i'm stationed in germany so i'm at the mercy of apo shipping. i can't find it in the gallon form over here and they won't ship aersol to us.

Just a FYI, anyone considering doing they're entire busa.... Get more than a gallon, I wish I had about a pint more for mine. I did it in 2 stages, first was upper, lowers and fender. 2nd was tank, tail, hump and mirrors. They 2nd set was coated pretty good, but wish I had enough for one more coat.

Plasti-Dip.jpg

Keep us updated on how the plasti dip holds up on the tank.

I'm more curious on how you are gonna put it all together without "tearing" the plasti-dip.. Can't wait to see it though!!

I'll have a thread on it this weekend when it's all together with some satin black decals. I'm curious how it'll all go back together too!

well i finally got the dip in the mail and things didn't work out. first thing i noticed was that the box was beat to h*ll and back. I opened up the package to find a dented can of white and an empty can of gloss with dried pd all over everything. i still had 2 cans of white left over from when i dipped the wifes wheels so i thought i'd use that first. i guess the can was too cold b/c it came out way too rough. after several coats with the sprayer trying to smooth it out i guess i went too thick b/c it started to run. anyways it's all peeled off and back to the stock paint job.

Figured I'd post what I've done with Plastidip spray (first time using it) -- it's not a long-term job, but I wanted to try out something other than plain white/pearl without committing to a design/color. My original decal'd pics are below, but those have been peeled off for quite a while. This was done (easily) on the bike and took about 1.5 cans per side (3 for both). The decals were cut from my MH721. It'd look far better if my wheels were powdercoated black rather than silver, but that'll come later.

Everything stayed on the bike for spraying, and I intentionally oversprayed when doing the side fairing. Not sure how it'll last, but it was a nice product to work with.

Plasti dip:
2013-08-04 12.44.30.jpg
2013-08-04 12.44.19.jpg

Before custom decals were stripped:
IMG_2640 (Medium).jpg
IMG_2641 (Medium).jpg

2013-08-04 12.44.30.jpg

2013-08-04 12.44.19.jpg

IMG_2640 (Medium).jpg

IMG_2641 (Medium).jpg

Back