Ping org members at FT HOOD

chrisjp

GM of Haya's in the Hills
Donating Member
Registered
our son and his wife are now stationed at FT Hood. its his first duty base. he has been signed up for housing and they gave him a time frame so he flew his wife down to meet him and put her up in hotel while they waited a week for the house to be signed. since then they have changed his iraq deploy date many times (wich caused him to say dont worry bout house if he deploying in feb but now he is not) he is paying 225 a week to house her..getting no where (ft hood page says 60 days before he gets house) they are out of money..she just lost the baby last week while he was at san antonio for a week of training (yes she was by herself and 4 months along, and had to wait till he returned) can anyone give me and his mother advice on how to reach a support system there to expidite anything so she isnt sleeping in the car. (we can offer some money but it wont carry them far just delay the inevitable.):please:

There are several options open to him and his wife: For immediate assistance, go to the AER (Army Emergency Relief). They can provide him upfront, no-return loan to offset some of the hardship he has got going on. It requires chain of command approval but that is usually a done deal and takes about 3 seconds. First stop though, should be for your son to talk to his platoon seargent and/or First Seargent...They can cut through that red tape in short order. Second stop, call the FRG leader (family readiness group), usually the boss' wife...and let them know whats going on and they can immediately help. Often the wives have some STRONG connections and get stuff they need. Lastly, there is the chaplains office, they have all the same access as above. Let me know if he runs into issues with this stuff. I got a TON of CPT/MAJ/LTC/COL friends sitting at Hood that can help.

09BusaDrvr is correct.

However, I've got to tell you in the short run, it might be better to put her on a bus home for a month or so until he get's his feet on the ground and a place for her/them to live. Remember, if (WHEN) he deploys, she is going to be there by HERSELF and that's pretty rough on a young wife (not to mention mother - my sincerest condolences on their loss). Being a camp follower (Army Spouse) is pretty rough and takes some time to get indoctrinated into, ESPECIALLY on a junior enlised soldier making very little. Most soldiers that PCS ususally either a) have it worked out prior to arrival, or b) come as advance party and bring wife later.

Good luck.

thanks for the imput...based on his efforts today they are now moving his home up to a week...reimbersing for the hotel..and she was offered a job as a bank teller...so thank for any of you throwing prayers out

Back