How long to wean son off of money tree

Macfast

Never Forgotten
I pay for a lot of my sons bills Car & Bike insurance Cell phone Direct TV all taxes Which he and my wife come off the magic money tree out back
He is out of the house living with his babys moma in a house free of rent giving to him by his grandma, Both of them work, although not a great paying job
I think at 21years old and living out of the house you should carry your own weight My wife thinks Im a ahole She says that im his dad i should take care of him HOW LONG IS LONG
Enough

shake his hand, slide him a $100 bill, and tell him to have a good life (what my dad did)...at 21 years old, living on his own, raising his own child, it's time for him to become a man and start handling his responsibilities...just my $.02

Im 24 and u need to cut him out. Nothing personal but if u r old enough to have a kid u need to take responsibility. I pay rent and everything. My job pays crap but I manage, especially if he has his girl working too. Once a kid moves out he is out. My parents cut me off once I got a job.

Cut the cord. He will still need your help from time to time. Help if you can. My .02
Posted via Mobile Device

You know I would help when his back is up against the wall, I love the boy but don't want to be an ATM machine

In my opinion, as long as you have that lit ATM sign, he's going to keep coming back.
Posted via Mobile Device

That's the whole point. He'll never learn what life is without paying his way.
Posted via Mobile Device

I was on my own when I turned 18 so my opinion may be different than some. I think you should have cut him off LONG ago. You aren't teaching him anything by giving him a hand out. As long as he knows his basics are covered by you, he's just going to keep screwing off with his own money. :poke:

Him calling you once or twice for an emergency is one thing but to continue to pay that CRAP, stuff that he doesn't even need......is a joke!

I want to know how many people on here are still actually doing this? I know people in there late 20's-early 30's that are still getting money from there parents. I can't help but laugh at them because they still don't get LIFE! :banghead:

My parents gave me a option when I turned 18. Go to school and live rent free or get a job and start paying rent. They wanted me to be ready for the real world.

Explain to your wife that you guys aren't teaching him anything by providing for him. I know no one wants to think about it but what is he going to do once you and his mom aren't around any more? Please don't take that the wrong way either I don't mean for that to sound offensive.

Man we [wife and I ] get into this discussion every time the insurance bill comes in, just is'nt going anywhere. Of course im the one paying it not her. I really dont know if he can afford it but I think he should try

Back