Ping Motor techies....

ks-waterbug

Group Buy Guy
Donating Member
Registered
Da bug's got some questions....
1. 1397cc, JE pistions, pump gas motor
2. Took JC's advice... Megacycle Stage II cams
3. bigger valve springs and maybe titanium retainers.
4. having the crank trued/balanced..
Now for the questions
1. What other mods should I do to this everyday driver; keeping in mind I want the motor to last? (motor related)
2. Should I run stock rods or go stronger?
3. Do I need to upgrade the clutch springs, slave cylinder supt., etc...?
4. Bigger battery?
5. Starter gear upgrade?
6. anything I've overlooked?
Thanks in advance to everyone who's help the bug get-er-done.....

<!--EDIT|ks-waterbug
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117429144 -->

Ive got what youve got,, answers are as follows, #1 - Optional, 2-3-4-5-6- all no, I have 22000 miles on the stock clutch , and 4000 are after the big bore kit, Battery has never let me down, have original starter gear, never a problem, . and you didnt mention who did your work or how much horsepower you made. I had mine done by kevin at K.W.S motorsports

2. swapping intake/exhaust cams (A.P.E mod)
Now for the questions
1. What other mods should I do to this everyday driver; keeping in mind I want the motor to last? (motor related)
4. Bigger battery?
5. Starter gear upgrade?
Sorry for the stupid post here...

<!--EDIT|FAKK2
Reason for Edit: None given...|1118338667 -->

Ive got what youve got,, answers are as follows, #1 - Optional, 2-3-4-5-6- all no, I have 22000 miles on the stock clutch , and 4000 are after the big bore kit, Battery has never let me down, have original starter gear, never a problem, . and you didnt mention who did your work or how much horsepower you made. I had mine done by kevin at K.W.S motorsports
Thanks, this makes me feel better... I'm having A.P.E do the engine work. Really wanted JohnnyCheese to be my tuner/builder but he was full up til the middle of June! So, opted for a local shop. Are you running the stock cams?

2. swapping intake/exhaust cams (A.P.E mod)
Now for the questions
4. Bigger battery?
5. Starter gear upgrade?

2. Should I run stock rods or go stronger? YES

3. Do I need to upgrade the clutch springs, slave cylinder supt., etc...? Prob good too do as a must... definatley clutch...

4. Bigger battery? HELL YES

5. Starter gear upgrade? OH YES

6. anything I've overlooked?, Turbo?

Forged Pistons?
titanium valves, springs, cams.
Are you running a 1397cc motor? If so, the answers you provided are first hand experience and they worry me alittle. I might go ahead and do the starter upgrade, along with the oil gear change. Don't want to starve the engine and burn something up! Good news is my big bore is shipping out Today!
smile.gif

why not just go with the carpenter guys?

drop it off.. come back.. and it's done?

They any good? Just curious mainly.. I have no immediate plans for anything like that..

Johnny Cheese, soory to thread slay, but I just got back from the track (runnin' my boy's 1k and the fastest Busa there had your sticker on it. Ya know the one "Johnny Cheese Performance". It would cool to meet ya and have a bike built by ya. Yer still a cheezer tho.

Johnny Cheese, soory to thread slay, but I  just got back from the track (runnin' my boy's 1k and the fastest Busa there had your sticker on it. Ya know the one "Johnny Cheese Performance". It would cool to meet ya and have a bike built by ya. Yer still a cheezer tho.
who's bike.
Trust me I am really more of a basketcase when you get me in person

JC, getting a set from DTMH..... Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
24 Volt system, where to mount the second battery? Is there a kit? You sure your booked til Mid June?
smile.gif

Johnny Cheese, soory to thread slay, but I  just got back from the track (runnin' my boy's 1k and the fastest Busa there had your sticker on it. Ya know the one "Johnny Cheese Performance". It would cool to meet ya and have a bike built by ya. Yer still a cheezer tho.
who's bike.
Trust me I am really more of a basketcase when you get me in person
Not sure who the guy was but it was at ATCO NJ. Pretty cool to see your name on something out here.

I personally think a 24volt system is a BAD idea for anything but track only very limited usage. Your stock system is NOT designed nor capable of handling a continous 24v. 80+% of the bike's wiring and equipment can NOT handle 24v for very long and could burn up. YES you could in theory wire it for starter usage only. BUT it would be best to NOT double the voltage and merely wire 2 decent gel cells in series thus doubling the amps and not the voltage. Starter kickback is what causes problems. Stock starter has turned engines(that I know of) as high as 15:1 compression. Doubling the voltage will make the starter spin faster than it should. Whenever you push anything beyond its recommended limits its not if it'll fail, its when.

12.5:1 compression.(13:1 is more headache possibilities than the few horsepower gained is worth)
Carpenter cams
upgraded springs and retainers
lightened, knifed, and balanced crank WITH counter balanced removed

This should yield an easy 180-low 200 per how happy your dyno you use may read and tuning of course. Good full circumference valve job and some exhaust port work could gain you as high as a possible 20 hp.

Yes, this was the approach I'd thought about. But, I'm still reluctant to go ahead with this mod. The more I read the less I think this will be practical for my intended use......

KS i think you would be fine with a 1397 give you the extra HP kick but like S4l Said do the lower comp 12.5:1 and it should run you all day no need for extra battery just get the higher output on that fits where the factory dose. Do the rods if you want extra insurance. My 1363 has the carrilo rods, oil gear, windage tray, 12.5:1 compression, yosh cams. and some port and polish head work, and brock clutch mod, i had it built with the mind set of long term riding with No break down issues and it's been good to me so far, i can take it to the track or pound it on the road. granted now i plan to turn it more drag when my turbo bike comes home

Back