Clutch Question

Ross1

Registered
I believe my clutch is slipping in upper RPM's, the motor revs but the speed is not equal to the RPM. The bike is a 2003 busa with 9000 miles and I have the following questions:

1. Is it a hard job?
2. Does anyone in atlanta know were I can get a clutch at a good rate?
3. How much for a clutch and what are the parts that need to be replaced ie. carbon plates, steel plates, springs etc.
4. Which clutch to go with OEM, Barnett or others?

Please give I put

Ross

In my experience you can buy about 6 of the thick steel plates and a new set of springs. Pull it apart and swap thin steels for think trying to get the whole stack to measure 1.98-2.00" thickness. As long as is has not been slipping too long you should be able to slaveage it.

My vote is to stick with OEM.

On the sponsor page there are two OEM Dealers who can fix you up. I think some of the other sponsors also keep oem clutch parts in stock.

If you change your oil you can most likely do the clutch yourself and save $$$. I did the Brocks clutch hub and getting inside there was easy and it all got put together just fine. Just because you have never done it does not mean you can't do it.

Thanks, I was told that maybe the fibers were going out but you think it may be the steel drive, should I just replace all to eliminate the problem.

Be sure its your clutch slipping before you spend money. I "thought" my clutch was slipping in the high rpms, but it turned out to be a bad fuel pump. One test I was told that should indicate if its your clutch, is put the bike in a high gear at very low speed and go full throttle. A bad clutch will allow the engine to rev faster than the rear is turning, a bogging engine that revs as quickly as the rear turns is a good clutch.

OEM clutch is the way to go. Swap out the springs and fibers.

Drain your oil, pull off the clutch cover (12 bolts) Not the 3 in the center.
Remove the pressure plate (6 bolts) Dont worry, nothing is going to spring out on ya.Check stack up as Rick said.
Soak your discs in oil. replace and put back in reverse order.
Piece of cake!

If you do replace the clutch fibers/steels etc go with the Gen II fibers. Much better than Gen I.

btw.. stick with OEM's

If you put on any aftermarket springs you have to get this:
<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-Hayabusa-Clutch-Slave-Support-Aluminum-Brace_W0QQitemZ110236923306QQcmdZViewItem?ha
sh=item110236923306" onclick="window.open(this.href,'_blank');return false;">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot....6923306</a>

The slave cover WILL CRACK under the added pressure. I learned the hard way. No problems now. I actually have an extra slave cover, brand new, if you want to make an offer.

Back