Ping builders: 1 last summer project

ibified

Registered
Okay, so I'm down to my last summer project. I have built my deck and have the hot tub up and running fine (thanks DJSIN) and now want to finish one last thing.

On the back of my house, theres a bump out thats about 8 ft wide, and above that, the roof has been gabled out. I want to extend that roof line out 12 feet to cover part of the deck. I pulled off the aluminum flashing and some of the soffit to see what I had under there. it appears that the roofing is made up of 2x6s with a 2x6 ridge board, as well as 2x6s on the end of each piece. I'm thinking that I am going to do this extension by matching the rafters as well as the ridge board and end pieces, and using (4) 4x4s at each corner to support the whole thing.

Here are my questions:

1) will a 2x6 be adequate for a ridge board, or should I go with something bigger, like a 2x10, to prevent things from sagging.

2) will I have any issues using 4x4 supports that sit on the deck as long as I reinforce the deck from underneath with some cripples between the joists?

3) will 4 4x4 supports be enough to support this with the roof load and snow load?

Here are some pics for reference:

SSPX0138.jpg

SSPX0139.jpg

SSPX0145.jpg

SSPX0144.jpg

SSPX0146.jpg

SSPX0138.jpg

SSPX0139.jpg

SSPX0145.jpg

SSPX0144.jpg

SSPX0146.jpg

I think 2x6's would be fine. Sister 2x6's to the existing gable with the ridge board in between. Then build out from there... If it were me, I would use 6x6 posts to support. Make sure you anchor them well.

Just re-read... you're going to use 4-4x4's on each end? That will work. Nice and beefy..

Thanks, Omslaww. I didnt really want to put 4x4s on the end up by the house, but I dunno if i would trust the whole thing to be supported by just the house end. They'll be within a foot or so of the side of the house anyway, so its not like they will really be in the way much.

I wouldn't think you would need posts on the house end... Sister the 2x6 to the existing roof, use lag bolts or regular bolts and nuts to sister them together. Along with nails, use some joist supports to tie everything together. Then support on the other end... Just need to make sure that it's securely fastened to the existing structure and supported on the other end and you should be fine. Decks are often built the same way...fastened to the house and then posts on the other end...

I may look into that then. It just seems like a lot of weight for those to be supporting, i guess.

Well, here's how things went:

Getting the bare bones frame built and on the deck:

SSPX0152.jpg

And raising into place (note - doing this alone SUCKS. Thats why I had 4 temporary posts secured to it, I raised it one corner at a time until it was where it needed to be.)

SSPX0155.jpg

And: at proper height and secured to the house.

SSPX0156.jpg

With Rafters installed:

SSPX0165.jpg

With temporary supports removed and permanent posts attached:

SSPX0171.jpg

I worked on this for a period when it was dark, so i couldnt get pics with my cell phone, but here it is after i got the OSB sheeting, roofing felt, and shingles installed. Yes, the hillbilly on the roof is me:

SSPX0180.jpg

SSPX0155.jpg

SSPX0156.jpg

SSPX0165.jpg

SSPX0171.jpg

SSPX0180.jpg

SSPX0152.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, and since i took these, I have also done all my aluminum facing to cover the exposed wood. I'll probably wait until spring to do the underside and soffit. Screw it, its late October in northern Indiana.

:rofl: I'll send my younger brother over to load test it I'm the little one at 250 and 5'10" :laugh:

( I'm in shape round is a shape)

wow great job!! now if I could get you and your side kick down to Ft Wayne to do some stuff on the house :)

very nice job... come to my house and do the same for my second story roof that i want to cover my master deck?

wow great job!! now if I could get you and your side kick down to Ft Wayne to do some stuff on the house :)
randy you do know i had building trades 2 years, 4 years of arch.drafting, and have built 3 homes right..only reason Andy started this thread was i wasn't home when he called me....lol
but seriously if you need something done around your house let me know, you have my numbers

Back