Picking Up a New Scooter

SSGT_B

Registered
New to me and literally, a scooter….lol. A friend of mine was given a 1940s-50s Cushman scooter. He’s blind now and can’t ride of finish fixing it, says it needs a throttle tube, so he called and asked if I wanted it. Duh!!!! Picking it up tomorrow, was supposed to be yesterday but rain can in. I’ll post pics when I get it. Should be a fun lil project.

I knew a guy who was "nuts" for scooters...mainly the Vespas...he had a few of them and a couple were apparently rare and valuable...He even flew to Italy to check out a couple.

He tried to get me to ride one but that wasn't happening...

...to clarify...they don't interest me to ride them but I do recognize their historical value....the Cushman collapsible scooters dropped into D-Day were interesting

Cushman.jpg

A fella doing a mature age certified course at my high school back in the day , rode a Vespa scooter . He was from the UK , and the only skinhead on the grounds , because we were a rocker school , but he was well liked . Anyway , many years later I see an article in Australian Motorcycle News about him and his latest Vespa that was souped up and pulled a genuine ton ( 100 mph ) , I was pretty amazed .

So that be a 1500 or the first GEN 1800 both solid bikes Never owed a 1500 but I have read they are bit more comfortable than the 1800 :thumbsup:

A friend who had a few sportbikes, his stepdad passed last year and left him a '95 Goldwing(the kind with the stock mufflers that look like chrome glasspack mufflers with turn down tips, they look awful, lol, I'm not very familiar with GW's).
He rode it over back in May, as he turned towards my garage in my driveway, he dropped it...aka parked it at a 45° angle, hahahaha, sudden stop from 5mph, it's always hilarious...as another friend's neighbor had a newer model GW, and 'dropped' it several times turning in and out of his driveway(again hilarious).
So, when I was there to see it, I would be the one to lift it back upright for him(older guy, wasn't in great health for lifting it up).
Lifting it up facing either side of the bike took about all I had, but lifting it with my back to it was much easier, with better leverage, as some riders know the right technique(all should).
So I've lifted a GW a few times...but never ridden one, lmao.
Anyway, back to my friend who dropped his GW in my driveway.
He can't lift it up, any way he tries, and after multiple attempts.
(I'm enjoying the spectacle, he looked ridiculous).
He finally asks for my help, to which I tell him that I had hernia surgeory 5 days prior, and was sore enough from the laughter...no can do.
I had to loop a nylon tow strap around the ball hitch on my truck, and pull the GW back upright(a little part of me wanted to see it fall the other way, lmao)
The moral of the story is don't ride what you can't pick up when you crash!
Hahahahaha!

Last edited:
Back