pick my helmet (2 to choose from)

TulBusa

Donating Member
Registered
OK...I'm having a hard time picking between the 2 helmets shown below. I love the helmet design of the Shoei X-11, but the Arai RX-7 fits so plush. I could go with either, but would like your opinion on which graphics design(I have the 04 Blue and Silver,on avatar). Also post any first hand experience with either helmet. Thanks

shoei_norick_5.gif

Hmm thats a tough choice. Go with whichever one has a better fit and feel on the noggin. I ve had my arai RX7RR4 for a couple of years and love it. I purchased the new shoei X-11 that Ive never worn. Just doesnt have the same fit and feel. Also recently ordered the new RX7 corsair which I will be picking up the morning.

Go with the Arai, it fits you and the colors of the bike.

Arai matches up much better with the bike.
If the fit is better too, it is a no-brainer.

Buy whatever fits. End of story, don't crap out for fashion and end up suffering just for looks...

I think you'll find better air flow with the vent setup on the Arai than with X-11.....I actually stepped down to an RF-1000 instead of the X-11 because of the way the vents are setup.

Both are kick butt helmets though, with the vent thing aside I would go with the Arai.....It fits the color scheme of your bike better..

My .02......

Dan

..wouldn't care to match bike colour with helmet - on the contrary, I would CHOSE to differ!..

Get the Shoei. The X-11 is the best fitting helmet out there (but for YOUR head the Arai could be it!.. so try first.. ) plus it is the most quiet. Arais are LOUD!

..I like the Shoei colours more, as well.. View attachment 498151

Always go with fit and safety first but since both are pretty close I would say go with the SHOEI!

I like the color scheme on the Arai better but I won't buy another helmet without a flush shield again. I have a Sumoy right now and the damn ear pieces rip off over 170mph! View attachment 498180

Replacements are $50 a pop and they shouldn't be coming off a $500 helmet!

The Arai gets my vote for looks but as has been said already, comfort and fit are what count.

I have two Shoeis, an RF-900 and a Z-something. I like the RF-900 a lot; the other one not so much. I also have an Arai Astral. It's very confortable but no more so than the RF-900 and as "Wizard" said, it has more road and wind noise than the Shoeis.

My next helmet is going to be a Suomy - I tried one on recently and really liked the fit.

Ed

i also have a rf9 and am really happy with it... it's loud... but not as loud as some of the others.. plus it's got all the same safety rating at about 1/2 the price...

If the Arai fits well, go with it. That helmet is the bomb - fit and venting. Plus, you can fit speakers into if you want. I love the design you've got picked out too.

Which ever fit's the best. Hard to believe both helmet's fit and feel the same though.

I have a Shoei Z-II, but just got a kick-ass deal on a Shoei RF-1000 Zemke replica on Ebay Sunday!! Paid $262 for a new helmet that has a $480 MSRP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your replies. I currently have a Shoei Z-II that I use with my R6 and it fits really nice(big helmet thought). I have tried on both helmets, Arai and Shoei, and they both fit good, so I guess it really comes down to looks and functionality. I actually wanted the Shoei helmet below, but when I saw it, the blue is a serious bright royal blue and doesn't even go good with other blues. I realize this is maybe being pretty anal, but it's a lot of money and want to be happy with what I get. Most blues don't match out very well together anyway, so I thought if I got something with a little blue and a lot of other colors, it may work out better.

Shoei_Porto_both.jpg

First, choose whatever fits your head best. I thought my Shoei RF900 fit pretty well, but now I have an Arai Quantum, and my head shape is best in an Arai. Plus, the Arai is very plush and holds that plushness, unlike my Shoei, which feels rather rock-like inside after three years of daily use (versus the one year of use with my Arai).

The one caveat I have against Arai is that the helmet is damn loud, even with plugs. It actually squeezes my ears, so the plugs will wiggle loose (and they're custom plugs). My Shoei is as quiet as a "bee-loud glade," to quote W.B. Yeats. The Arai is Hurricane Isabella at regular speeds (it's the side panels that do it, but there's also a lot of turbulence underneath the helmet, which I can block out with my hand or a scarf).

I still love the noisy bastard, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back