PI$$ED..Then ESTATIC!!!

JINKSTER

I Love my Wife!
Donating Member
Registered
Well folks...it was but a few weeks and not even 500 miles ago that I offered up this pic...

Busburn2.jpg

of me roasting off the last of what was left of my stock BT56 rear as the following day I rode down to have a new BT014 rear mounted up and balanced...and the new BT014 was sweet and I heard folks got great milage but...

Yesterday afternoon after I got home from work I was giving my Hayababy a visual going over in preparation for my 3 day July 4th weekend when I spied what at first appeared to be a white pebble lodged in the sipping of my almost new BT014 and I tried to pop it out with my fingers but no dice...so I grab my needlenose pliers and snatch hold of it and pull to reveal a nail shank...damn...going into the bottom of my tires sipping sideways...as I held hope that "maybe"...just "maybe"...but the harder I pulled the longer the nail got to then reveal its full length of a 16 penny wannabe spike!!!...that left a huge angled hole right in the bottom of the tire tread/sipping as the tire completely deflated within seconds of removing the huge nail.
mad.gif

As I thought...good thing it did go it at a hard angle or it would've holed my rim as well.
sad.gif

So..spirited of mind that's it's now early friday evening and that I ain't going through a 3 day holiday weekend without my Hayababy...out comes the tire plugging kit...but as soon as I inserted the roughing rasp I was like...rut-ro...that went in waaaay to easy..then the same thing with the string plug...the result of very little "wall" (the tires thinnest at the bottom of the tread sipping)..with a huge angled hole..the worst of all conditions and the plug leaked..badly...losing about 1lb a minute...a I realized and came to terms with the fact that my new BT014 is in fact...TRASHED..by one huge nail.
sad.gif

Thought about hot patching it from the inside but...no shops do that (for liability reasons) and I figured...the hell with it...I ain't risking my life, possibly my daughters life or my Hayababy over rigged tires.

So..4th of July weekend Sat. morning...called around...and found a stealership with some mechs in for the morning only...over the phone the parts dept. salesman tells me...

"We have Pilot Powers and Dunlop Sportmaxs in your size but...what front tire do you have?"

Me: "The front is still the original stock BT56."

Him: "Well...The Dunlop would match your front tires profile much better than the Michelin would and...it's cheaper...and we can mount it up and balance it if ya hurry down."

So...calculating the loss of 1lb psi per minute and it being a 25 minute ride I over-inflate to 45 lbs and haul @$$ and just made it...but as I walk in the service dept?...the service writter guy and the parts dept. guy are arguing over the tire recomendation I was given...then the service writter dude tells me...

"I'm sorry....we weren't aware this tire was going on a Busa and now my parts guy is telling me that the dunlop isn't a great idea....that you should go with the more expensive michelin."

Me:"wtf?...whats that gonna do to my bikes handling since you already told me that the dunlops profile matchs the BT56 front but the michelin dosen't?"

Him: "Like I said...I'm sorry but...we didn't realize you'd be rolling in on a busa....and you could probably get away using the michelin with the BT56 front but..."

Me:"Okay then...lemme ask ya this...since ya kinda screwed up taking my order would ya cut me a deal if I go ahead and spring for replacing both?"

Note: Now...Michelins are expensive and this place is a high class clip-joint so a deal really isn't a deal but...at least it was a little off the bottom line as I glanced at the prices then oiffered him $350 for both Brand New Matching "Michelin Pilot Powers"...mounted and balanced...and he agreed...as long as I agreed to paying the tax and any wheel weights as well...so...done deal....just got back home and...for a preliminary report?...

The Michelin Pilot Powers Aree AWESOME!!!
biggrin.gif

Things I've noticed just during the scuff-in ride home...

1. Damn Thes Things Stick!!!
biggrin.gif
Like pencil erasers soaked in maple syrup!!!
laugh.gif

2. Steering is completely neutral and predictable at all angles of lean.

3. "Ride Quality": Is like I'm floating a hovercraft on glass.

4.Yet I still get great feedback...even though they feel like thay are vacuum locked to the road.

5. I can even feel their ultra-snatchy traction levels on decel as well as accel....braking and engine braking effects are noticably more immediate.

6. Did I mention they're STICKY?

7. I usta have a slight head-shake thing happening under a 40-30mph decel with my hands off the bars...THAT'S gone now.
biggrin.gif

Next time you're in a shop with a well stocked tire rack just rub your fingers and feel the difference in compound texture between the Pilot Powers and any other tire...and here's hoping there's some credibility to the "Soft Tires Last Better On A Bike With Big Torque" theory...guess I'll soon see...meanwhile?....these are by far the best tires I've ever felt on any streetbike....the nail pi$$ed me off...but the pleasure of experiencing the Pilot Powers almost sorta made up for it...like a good bad.
tounge.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

sad.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

My M1's are on the way out, gonna be mounting the powers here in the next month or so.... just in time for the CO ride
smile.gif

Powers get great life! I have over 2k on mine and the rear is still in GREAT shape. I used to count how long a D208 would last in weeks instead of miles, Powers I'm still waiting to see how long this one will last me. Even being in Fl and having all the straight roads around I don't have the flat spot in the middle of my tire that I usually get around here.
Trust me you will NOT be disappointed with these tires. (And a thanks to BT for convincing so many of us to try these out!)

$350??... did he take you out to dinner first?
biggrin.gif

They are awesome tires but you got robbed. I've been paying 240 for both and $8 apiece to mount and balance. I may start doing that myself next time, keep an extra set on hand.
Screw BT!
smile.gif
I was the first on the board to fight with tufbusa on how great they are!

Got a set waiting to get mounted. Thanks for the report.

$350??... did he take you out to dinner first?
biggrin.gif

They are awesome tires but you got robbed. I've been paying 240 for both and $8 apiece to mount and balance. I may start doing that myself next time, keep an extra set on hand.
Screw BT!
smile.gif
 I was the first on the board to fight with tufbusa on how great they are!
I think I pretty much indicated that I knew I was paying top dollar but...under the circumstances...and if I wanted to ride my busa through this 3 day holiday weekend..my options were limited and I just considered myself lucky to find...

a. A shop open on a holiday weekend that...

b. Had a matching and extremely appropriate set of tires in stock.

Paying the extra to ride this weekend was well worth it..plus roll-in/roll-out service was kinda nice too...to me...at the time...under the circumstances.

Normally I purchase/order my tires from SouthWest Motorsports for just over $200+ a set...but this wasn't a "normal replacement"....this was a catastrophic road hazard failure...right at the begining of a holiday weekend...and NOT a predictable "Wear" sorta replacement situation.

So...the only person who robbed me was the @$$wipe that didn't secure his 16 Penny Nails on a public roadway..."THAT'S" the guy who actually "Robbed" me.

I mounted my Pilot powers on my rims last night in the living room and installed tehm on the bike today. This bike has never handled so good! I got them from Sky Powersports for $120 rear and $90 front. They wanted $30 PER TIRE to install them on the blank rims I had in the back seat. When I got done laughing at the incredibly inflated price i informed them that I could do it for free more than likely faster and better than them and told them to cash me out. I skipped the balancing and have absolutely NO indication I made an error in judgement! ( all ya really gotta do is locate the marked heavy part of the tire [ round circle next to label] 180 out from the stem) and life is good.
I noticed the same things mentioned above. I can't wait until I get together with Bill and get the springs I bought last month slapped into the front forks! This bike is acting like she is REALLY happy with her new shoes!! This set of tires will not have a chicken strip for long!
wink.gif

( all ya really gotta do is locate the marked heavy part of the tire [ round circle next to label] 180 out from the stem) and life is good.)
>>>>>>>>

drop the pipe and slowly step away.

You are so far off its not even funny.

( all ya really gotta do is locate the marked heavy part of the tire [ round circle next to label] 180 out from the stem) and life is good.)
>>>>>>>>

No....no he's not...as a matter of fact I've got a old bud in town with a bead breaker and balancer who when he mounted up my old Pilot Roads on my FZ1 claimedthey needed no weight...and 4 outta six other sets of roads he mounted up needed no weight added....with two sets needing but very minimum weights..The new Powers I purchased today took...

10grams/Front

25grams/Rear

In other words?...next to nothing...as most (if not all) of the upper end sport michelins come through very near or spot-on balance.

A rider would notice more crap coming out their chain drive zinging around than 10 grams/front..25grams/rear.

True....I'd never recomend not balancing tires (especially on a bike like the Busa) but at the same tolken?...if there ever was a motorcycle tire out there that didn't need balancing it would be the michelins as they come through extremely close annnnnd...very consistant.

Many riders I know have come to have so much trust in michelins that they don't even bother checking balance anymore....they just pop'em on and go. But I would never do the same with a dunlop or bridgestone...Metzeler & Pirelli are getting close to michelin but...no cigar...yet.

BTW...I still believe the BT014's and Mez's M1's to be fine choices...along with the good things I've heard abouit Diablo's but...imho?...the Powers inch them all out...hell...I just went for a jaunt tonight and when I pulled in my favorite gas station for an iced tea I did my trademarl shutdown and roll-in...across the concrete pad...but this time?...I could actually hear this "tacky sound" .....(kind of the same sound a paint roller makes...when it's loaded up with some real thick paint)as the powers rolled across the concrete pad with the engine shut-down...as I thought to myself...damn...I never heard that sound "through my helmet" from any of the tires I've owned before!...cool!....baby got grip!!!
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
biggrin.gif

Another satisfied customer....

Thats what I like to hear Jinks!

Me and BT been trying to tell these folks just how GOOD these tires are for months!
But everyones a pirelli/metzeler/dunlop/bridgestone fan/

Me? I'm not brand loyal, I just go for the best, and that's what I believe you have now my friend!

Awesome tires huh? Everytime I ride those powers I just do this...

disturbed.gif

I talked my bud into putting powers on his R1.

This took some doing cuz he has always rode dunlop. He rode the 207s, then the 207RRs, and now the D208s. And by golly, those 208s are the best tire made he says, even better than the 218s or so he has read.

So I basically explain to him the 208 is a pinto and the powers are a cadillac. I told him Ive ridden both and what I liked and disliked about each tire...

He didn't order them until I told him that I was so sure he would like these michelins, that IF he wasn't happy with em, I would buy them from him and pay for the mounting and balancing some 208s for him.....

Well, we rode yesterday, the first time for him on the powers and needless to say, he isn't going back to the 208s.... He was in awe... couldn't believe how effortless twisty riding is with the powers...

Just one more satisfied customer.

And NO I don't even have a pennys worth of stock in michelin. I am just an avid motorcyclist who tries to help others have a more enjoyable motorcycling experience... AND THATS WHAT THESE TIRES DO!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Another satisfied customer....

Thats what I like to hear Jinks!

Me and BT been trying to tell these folks just how GOOD these tires are for months!
But everyones a pirelli/metzeler/dunlop/bridgestone fan/

Me?  I'm not brand loyal, I just go for the best, and that's what I believe you have now my friend!

Awesome tires huh?  Everytime I ride those powers I just do this...
BF...well if "that's what ya like ta hear"?.....Then I'll tell ya a little more...

Sunday morning...the last morning of the last Busa Bash?...found GrandpaBusa (Bill) w/ his son Jeremy (on a Katana), Vman (Kevin) and myself all ready to to take Hwy143 too Hwy28 to head from Phillips Motel in Robbinsville, through Fontana to go breakfast at the CROT (crossroads of time).

Since I knew the way Kevin (Vman) told me to go ahead and lead...at which point Vman also mentioned that he needed gas...I told'im.."Well we'll just wait at the corner gas station for ya."...he said..."Nah...go on ahead...I'll catch up."

Now...I kinda giggled at Vman's level of confidence because while we ain't pro racers?...Granpabusa, Jeremy and myself aren't exactly what ya might call "Slow Riders" either....so again I asked Vman...

"Are ya sure?...cause it's no problem...we'll wait for ya."

(figuring...almost knowing that there'd be no way in hell he'd ever catch up with us even if he is a kick@$$ fast rider)

But he insisted and shu'ed us on ahead...as the three of us lit out for the crot.

We were rolling along at a pretty good clip up 28...I was leading and kept glancing in my mirrors and we got spaced out pretty good but..grandpabusa and Jeremy were hanging tough so I kept wicking it up a scosh at a time to both feel them out (to steady a pace) and...yeah...the little devil in me did kinda wanna see if we could beat Vman to the CROT or...at least how far we'd get before he caught up...well...

We did get a pretty good distance up the road...almost 3/4's of the way there by the time Vman caught up with us but here's HOW he caught up with us...

Like I said...I was glancing in my mirrors frequently and saw nothing but granpabusa and jeremy...and all within the next brief moment of riding?....ZOOOM! ZOOM!!....two bikes passed us like a flash....the first was a Yellow BMW RT1150?..and right on his @$$ was Vman!!!...and damn were they honk'in on down the road.

I was humbled beyond belief...and amazed that Vman and his Big Busa were stuck to the road so well.as it appeared both physics and gravity was being challenged...and...looked like something you'd only see in cartoons!!!
laugh.gif

Vman and his Beamer Bud were waiting for us at the next stop sign (the fontana 143/28 junction)...the Vman waived so long to his beamer bud and led us up 28...with me chasing hell out of him and shaking my head in disbelief of how much confidence Vman had in his busa sticking to those curves at that pace/speed.

Now...I'm not saying it made all the difference cause it definantly didn't...but on that trip is when Vman was testing out a new set of Powers he just mounted up...and now that I've mounted up the same?...I now at least understand HOW Vman had so much confidence in his busa sticking to the road at those speeds!!!
laugh.gif

POWERS ROCK!!!
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|JINKSTER
Reason for Edit: None given...|1120442750 -->

laugh.gif

dont forget, twinkle toes is a HELL of a rider with a TON of local road experience
cool.gif
my guess, he can out pace most anyone on those roads
biggrin.gif

>>>>>>>>

No....no he's not...as a matter of fact I've got a old bud in town with a bead breaker and balancer who when he mounted up my old Pilot Roads on my FZ1 claimedthey needed no weight...and 4 outta six other sets of roads he mounted up needed no weight added....with two sets needing but very minimum weights..The new Powers I purchased today took...

10grams/Front

25grams/Rear

In other words?...next to nothing...as most (if not all) of the upper end sport michelins come through very near or spot-on balance.

A rider would notice more crap coming out their chain drive zinging around than 10 grams/front..25grams/rear.

True....I'd never recomend not balancing tires (especially on a bike like the Busa) but at the same tolken?...if there ever was a motorcycle tire out there that didn't need balancing it would be the michelins as they come through extremely close annnnnd...very consistant.

Many riders I know have come to have so much trust in michelins that they don't even bother checking balance anymore....they just pop'em on and go. But I would never do the same with a dunlop or bridgestone...Metzeler & Pirelli are getting close to michelin but...no cigar...yet.

BTW...I still believe the BT014's and Mez's M1's to be fine choices...along with the good things I've heard abouit Diablo's but...imho?...the Powers inch them all out...hell...I just went for a jaunt tonight and when I pulled in my favorite gas station for an iced tea I did my trademarl shutdown and roll-in...across the concrete pad...but this time?...I could actually hear this "tacky sound" .....(kind of the same sound a paint roller makes...when it's loaded up with some real thick paint)as the powers rolled across the concrete pad with the engine shut-down...as I thought to myself...damn...I never heard that sound "through my helmet" from any of the tires I've owned before!...cool!....baby got grip!!!
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
biggrin.gif
I am SO glad to read that! I thought the three years of my life I spent working in the Tire industry were wasted! I was really scared when I read FuzzNuts' ( or whoever it was) post telling me how far off I was! I could have sworn that when I was talking with the plant foreman of Firestone in DesMoines that we discussed that very thing! Whew! thought I was losing it there for a minute! Nice to see someone with intelligence verifying what I already knew
smile.gif

Perhaps I failed to mention that the rims had been trued and balanced by CCI so the weight of the rims were not an issue
wink.gif

Yes you did fail to mention your rim was balanced , explain to me why it would even matter where you put the dot if you are not going to balance the wheel as a whole?

My Bridgstone BT014 rear needed 14 grams more than my stock BT56 , the rim did'nt lose any weight.

explain to me why it would even matter where you put the dot if you are not going to balance the wheel as a whole?
The dot with the bar code ( or blue in this case) marks the heavy spot of the tire. There is another dot (typically white) that is 180 out from the heavy spot. You line your stem up with the light side and typically you'll be in high cotton.

Back