Phil Robertson gets suspended from Duck Dynasty for speaking his mind about Gays

So over the weekend, we had some PR girl, made a comment about getting AIDS in S. Africa, where she was about to fly to. She was fired by the time the plane hit the ground. All she was doing was expressing herself freely.
expressing her ignorance....:whistle:

I'd say with the advent of all this social media, that both people and employers are having a hard time in the grey area between personal expression and public/corporate expression...

Well...whaddya know...Suspension lifted...

The Dollar was mightier than A&E's 'principles'....

was there any doubt? :p

Yes there was some doubt as to whether or not the Liberal agenda would over run a 400 million dollar business.
But I guess not. I guess greed and gluttony prevail over twisted morals on this case.

The only one that comes out smelling like a rose over this is...Phil....

Hows that?

Well, let's see:

- Phil not only kept his job, but DD gained in popularity (see the Chick fil-et fiasco).
- A&E got the smackdown, had to retract and caught all kinds of grief
- GLAAD also got a huge backlash, and they LOST
- The average American actually SPOKE. Hopefully this is another reason they will mobilize for the 2014 mid-terms.

Well, let's see:

- Phil not only kept his job, but DD gained in popularity (see the Chick fil-et fiasco).
- A&E got the smackdown, had to retract and caught all kinds of grief
- GLAAD also got a huge backlash, and they LOST
- The average American actually SPOKE. Hopefully this is another reason they will mobilize for the 2014 mid-terms.

Sure he gained some popularity with people of similar beliefs.. Not sure that's smelling like roses. ( like chicfelet )
A&E did get the smackdown but that does make him look better
GLAAD deserved it.
The average american may have spoken.. As of now.. But i'm not so sure thats a good smelling thing either.

Listen we have different beliefs in this department and honestly i think his beliefs are poison. It didn't make him look good. the station and GLAAD still looks like idiots. But i don't think he is smelling like roses. Smelling like the past is more like.

At least we can agree he had the right to say what he wanted :)

Sure he gained some popularity with people of similar beliefs.. Not sure that's smelling like roses. ( like chicfelet )
A&E did get the smackdown but that does make him look better
GLAAD deserved it.
The average american may have spoken.. As of now.. But i'm not so sure thats a good smelling thing either.

Listen we have different beliefs in this department and honestly i think his beliefs are poison. It didn't make him look good. the station and GLAAD still looks like idiots. But i don't think he is smelling like roses. Smelling like the past is more like.

At least we can agree he had the right to say what he wanted :)

Even after ALL the above, I'm not fully onboard that he had the 'right to say what he wanted'. He had the right to say it, and A&E had the right to do what they did - and both suffer whatever consequences, both good and bad, for their actions. It's just in this case Phil's view had way more popular support than A&E's overwhelming desire for political correctness. It's my utter contempt for political correctness that triumphed in this case.

Political Correctness as espoused by the liberal agenda is killing this nation. Say what you will, just be man enough to accept the consequences. I may not agree with you gpmo, and debate you all day long, but I'd fight to the death for the right for you to disagree and say it.

As some have already said, I don't see this as a free speech issue at all. It's an employee/employer issue. It's all about ratings and the almighty dollar. They have a good thing going with DD and they don't want anybody messing it up by shooting off about issues that may or may not lose them viewers and sponsors. I have no research at hand that shows who watches DD but I am guessing it is people that enjoy hillbillies and hunting and comedy? They may not lose many of those viewers due to his comments but they certainly could lose some sponsors whose target market are not just made up of that specific demographic.

I would be interested in knowing if Phils views would change if one of his sons or family members came out of the closet? Just sayin.

Even after ALL the above, I'm not fully onboard that he had the 'right to say what he wanted'. He had the right to say it, and A&E had the right to do what they did - and both suffer whatever consequences, both good and bad, for their actions. It's just in this case Phil's view had way more popular support than A&E's overwhelming desire for political correctness. It's my utter comtempt for political correctness that triumphed in this case.

Political Correctness as espoused by the liberal agenda is killing this nation. Say what you will, just be man enough to accept the consequences. I may not agree with you gpmo, and debate you all day long, but I'd fight to the death for the right for you to disagree and say it.

This is well put.

+1 from me

Back