Personal Locator Beacons

DamnYank

Registered
Well pics of a recent offshore fishing trip freaked out the old lady, now she wants to get me an EPIRB. Which I guess isnt a bad idea since I do alot of night backroad riding, usually flyin solo. Can anyone recommend a compact device that I could carry on me while riding, and still work 70 miles offshore if somethin goes down? I checked out SPOT, anyone have any feedback on this unit? Better to be safer than sorry I guess....:beerchug:

The spot doesn't give me much confidence. Unfortunately, the good ones are not cheap. HERE is a listing of US legal PLB's.

I work in the Friendly Force Tracking Branch at USJFCOM and we often get information on commericial PLBs one that stood out was the MicroPLB by Wireless Concepts, Inc. (by Microwave Monolithics). According to the listing in the link above they are not authorized for sale in the US, but I don't know if that is still current. The MicroPLB is one those of us in the office who ride considered for personal use.

This is a personal assessment by me, based on my knowledge of the device, and in no way should be considered an endorsement by my employer.

+1000000000000000:thumbsup:

Umm...at $5290.00 I doubt I'll be getting one any time soon. But it looks cool.

Word around the shop is that they are not what they are cracked up to be.

Back