PENSKE Time!!!

Tiller

Registered
TBB and I took a run at installing my Penske rear shock for my GSXR 1K yesterday. It took about 3 hours but we got it installed.

We started with it on the stands and tried to use the jack under the oil pan to lift the tension off but that wasn't working. We got to a certain point where we needed to lift higher and we almost lost the whole bike on its side. :banghead:

So we rigged up a better system and drilled some bolts into the rafters and lifted it with straps (this really helped the comfort level while working :laugh:). This let us completely drop the swingarm so we had all kinds of room to work. After that it went pretty quickly. Anyway, here is a few pics of what it looked like and the final product. Now just gotta take my front forks down to Traxxion Dynamics in GA to have my fork cartridges installed. Cant wait for Barber in SEPTEMBER!!!

Please disregard how dirty the bike is. I had to ride it over there in the rain before we got started :banghead:

IMAG0238.jpg

IMAG0239.jpg

BAM!
IMAG0242.jpg

So it was almost 'Sir DropsAlot pt II, revenge of the dropper' eh?
:laugh:

What does a Penske shock do an Ohlins won't? Are the prices much different?

So it was almost 'Sir DropsAlot pt II, revenge of the dropper' eh?
:laugh:

What does a Penske shock do an Ohlins won't? Are the prices much different?

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Yes it was almost that!

I think Penske and Ohlins do the same thing but Ohlins is definately noted as the top of the line. Penske is also known as a awesome product. As far as price goes, the Penske is a little cheaper but not by a whole lot.

Where I struck gold is to find a guy my size with my exact same bike who was getting sponsored with suspension now so he sold me his set up. The rear shock is a top of the line Penske and a Traxxion Dynamics front fork cartridge kit. This set up would run about $2400 new and the rear shock being $1400 of that. however; I paid much less than half of that for him to ship me this setup :thumbsup:

I am going to be real interested if you can feel any difference or not...

Curious to see what your impressions are tiller! I put an ohlins rear shock on my red/black 02 gsxr 1k, and went from a pogo bounce stick to a smooth working rear tire on the gas. I also rode Wille's ohlins busa, which was set up for him, and wow! I was impressed! Firm but smooth riding! Great feed back! Compared to my stock busa which I believe I got close to what I need, it jiggles and wiggles a bit and feed back isnt as sharp as the ohlins! A click up or down on the stock suspension is more dramatic a change too! Your going to like it, so will ur tires!

Sorry guys I havent been on much. Internet got cut off saturday, I hired and helped with getting a fence put in and they hit the phone line to the house when drill holes. Even though the marking said they where clear of it. Today or tomorrow for that. Also pounded out an attic floor and insulation in 2 nites and one day for storage. (2) 16'x16' floors and a walk way.' Been moving karen in since last saturday prety much by myself. She has school m-thurs after work. Picking up her place, yard work etc!

I put an ohlins rear shock on my red/black 02 gsxr 1k, and went from a pogo bounce stick to a smooth working rear tire on the gas. I also rode Wille's ohlins busa, which was set up for him, and wow! I was impressed! Firm but smooth riding! Great feed back! Compared to my stock busa which I believe I got close to what I need, it jiggles and wiggles a bit and feed back isnt as sharp as the ohlins! A click up or down on the stock suspension is more dramatic a change too! Your going to like it, so will ur tires!

This is what I am hoping for... Thanks for the info, Tim :thumbsup:

Penske is good stuff. You'll be pleased.

Now the challenge is to get that puppy set up properly.

Penske is good stuff. You'll be pleased.

Now the challenge is to get that puppy set up properly.

Tuf you are exactly right. That's why I am not going to touch it. It came out of the same bike with a rider about the same size so I figure it's riddeable; however, I will definately be visiting the suspenion man that comes and services the STT trackdays at Barber. He is out of Chicago and does some fantastic work.

Back